Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Huntington's Chorea and Parkinsons

Posted by Susan Farber 
My father, grandfather, and great uncle all were told they had Parkinson's Desease. Recently, a family member suggested that they had Huntington's Chorea. Can you tell me in layman's terms what the differences are between these two deseases? Thank you.
susan if you go to the questions about HD section on the left side of the home page you will have some questions answered. Good luck.
lesley
Unfortunately, this question is not answered in the left hand columns. Thanks, though. Sue
Marsha
RE: Huntington's Chorea and Parkinsons
April 05, 2001 03:36PM
Sue, I think what Lesley meant is that if you go to the Answers to Questions about HD section, you will find information on the causes and symptoms of Huntington's Disease. While we don't have a comparison to Parkinson's Disease you can look at this information about HD and compare it to information about Parkinson's Disease that you can find elsewhere.

Here is the link we recommend for good information about HD

[www.ninds.nih.gov]

Both HD and PD are diseases of the basal ganglia and some of the symptoms are similar. However, the disease mechanism is different and different types of brain cells are involved. You can find good information about Parkinson's Disease here.

[www.parkinson.org]

Links to the various sections of this site are found on the left hand column of each page except for the Bulletin Board pages. You just need to move your mouse onto the link and click and the section will come up.

Here is a direct link to our question and answer section:

[www.hdac.org]

Marsha
RE: Huntington's Chorea and Parkinsons
April 05, 2001 03:40PM
The URLs that I provided above don't work as direct links. However you can copy and paste them into the Location section (if you are using Netscape) or the Address section (if you are using MS Internet Explorer) at the top of your screen and go to the sites that way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login