Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Q: Insurance : what ones to have ?

Posted by lpbp011 
Q: Insurance : what ones to have ?
May 15, 2009 06:04AM
Hi Everyone,

I have some questions as far as private Disability ins, LTD and LTC goes. I don't want to test until i have things sorted but needed to understand if I need LTD and LTC in addition to DI ?

My main concern is I feel I am starting to exhibit softer signs and still have a year to wait in my "pre-exhisting" condition clause for DI and not sure if I should go and start the LTD / LTC process or if its too late. So I don't want to go and seek care for anything unecessary.

I don't know how to explain the feeling I have when I wake up each morning but its very similar to running on a tread mill for a while and then getting off. Slight balance issues and I have to really pay close attention details of walking and stability. I just do things slower now but this time the feeling has not gone away. This has been happening on and off over the past 2 years and am worried that this time its staying.

Just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar experience.

sorry for the novel =)

regards,
LP
Re: Q: Insurance : what ones to have ?
May 15, 2009 06:29AM
Hi LP. I haven't touched our FAQ page in a long time, but it still seems to be reasonably current. It will at least supplement the more current responses you get here. Look for the questions under the topic "Finances"

HDAC Frequently Asked Questions

Steve
rj
May 15, 2009 06:59AM
LP,
I am in the process of also getting insurance. I've asked similiar questions in one of my posts below titled insurance, may help you also. Take a look. Have you already tested or just at-risk?
May 15, 2009 07:08AM
Thanks Steve and RJ, appreciate the help. I will read both to get a better understanding. I have not tested and am at risk. I have been a memeber here since 2007 but only log in once and a while. I try not to think about HD that often but now a days I have been growing more concerned as this issue hasn't cleared and forces me to adapt. Anyhow, thanks again for your suggestions.
Rgds,
>>LP
May 16, 2009 08:56AM
LP, I know you are talking about disability insurance. Here in Indiana, it's extermely expensive, even for a healthy person unless they get it at a very young age.

For what it's worth, and for those who are wondering about regular life insurance, I was able to get it through our agent for Brenda. I was honest and upfront, told him of the disease, and after he consulted with the main company, they issued her a life insurance policy. The only hitch was there was a 2 year wait period for the full coverage (which we have already reached). Our agent said that unless a disease can positively be determined to be fatal within the next year or so, they would issue a policy.

Other than that, Social security disability were got rapidly upon onset with the help of our local congressman, and between that, life insurance, and other benefits I found, it's possible for a HD patient to get treated decently if pursued relentlessly...at least this has been our experience here in Indiana.
jl
May 16, 2009 12:54PM
Stephen - are you saying that you managed to QUALIFY for SSDI benefits, quickly?

Or RECEIVE them? I've been told even by SSA - that the wait between your established "date of disability" - and starting to actually RECEIVE benefit payments will always be at least 5 months.

jl
May 16, 2009 03:03PM
Yes, JL. it was about 5 months, but that was 5 years ago, and I hear horror stories of people waiting much longer. I not only got the neuroligist involved, but our local congressman did an outstanding job of getting her disability first time. Most are denied first try, and have to apply again, and so on.

I only hear that people applying for disability have a long wait these days, but some may get it quickly. It was our congressman who took it upon himself to make it his personal issue to directly contect Social Security, and they listened. One of the only people in politics I've seen go so far for a citizen, but he had compassion for Brenda and HD!
jl
May 16, 2009 06:08PM
Right! I got mine in just over 5 months, because I qualified, first try.

I picked a lot of brains - and was scrupulously prepared. There was no way I wanted to go through all of that TWICE!

Fortunately, it worked!

jl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login