Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

I need help, please Reno, Nevada area people

Posted by Maggie 
I need help, please Reno, Nevada area people
April 09, 2009 04:05AM
I need help please!

Background:
My son Jason has a blog about the super computer that he is building for the purpose of donating its time to Stanford University for its Folding@Home project. Stanford uses the computer time to fold proteins and the results are used by scientists to study diseases including HD. Jason hangs out on gamer forums in order to encourage gamers (who have the fastest computers) to donate their unused time to the project. [atlasfolding.com] Jason?s link for all you computer geeks. Jason and I fold for the Hunt-Dis team.

Yesterday a video that he had posted on Utube got over 40,000 hits. One of them was from a woman desperately seeking help. Jason asked me to try to help her.

The Problem:
The woman?s husband was sent to a nursing home from a hospital and without discussing it with her, his new doctors changed his diagnosis to ?Organic Brain Disorder? and discontinued some of his medications. She said he went ?bonkers? and was sent back to the hospital. The nursing home is refusing to take him back. She has searched, with social workers? help, for a nursing home that will take him. They live in Reno, Nevada. The only nursing home that will take him is in Burley, Idaho, a full day?s drive away. She found one in California that she likes better but would still have to move. Their children and family live in Reno so the move would mean that she would have to leave her support system. But the hospital is a short term care place (7 to 14 days) and has had her husband for a month while they tried to find a nursing home for him. They are now forcing the issue.

She was on the hdlighthouse site yesterday to look for a home but none were close to her. Anyone know of a place that might take her husband. She cannot take care of him at home. He is in the advanced stage and is 6?6 and weighs 250 pounds. She really needs our help. Thanks to you all, Maggie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 04:09AM by Maggie.
Re: I need help, please Reno, Nevada area people
April 09, 2009 06:37AM
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that area of the country, but I'm sure if anyone is they will respond to your inquiry.
jl
April 09, 2009 08:32AM
I'm afraid I live further from Reno than Idaho or California.

So I can't do any more than wish you luck!

jl
April 09, 2009 09:03AM
Maggie, I live in Reno. My brother was in a nursing home here for about a year before they said they couldn't handle him. He was sent to Idaho, and we never saw him again. I believe he got good care there, as they were very communicative with my mom and kept her informed of things that happened. He lived there for about 3 years before dying without us.

The place he was in in Reno (actually Sparks) was on Oddie, near Rock, can't remember the name. The place my dad was in in last stages was in Sparks on Baring Blvd. Sorry I can't remember names. Has she called around?
April 09, 2009 09:19AM
She has called with the help of social workers. It would be hard to move to a new state without family to help her. I will forward the names you remembered to her. There has just got to be a place. I shudder to think about my moving to a new state without Jason and Eric to help me.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
April 09, 2009 06:28PM
When my mom was asked to have my brother moved, she was given this resource:

Univ. of Davis Calif.
Hunt. Dis Center of Excellence
Nursing Home Outreach Program
CA N. HDSA Chapter
I have an email address and a phone # if yuo want to send me a personal message.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login