Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

dentists for patients with HD

Posted by Debbie 
dentists for patients with HD
March 27, 2001 04:09PM
Does anyone out there know of dentists who treat patients with HD? We are in the Akron, Ohio area and are in desperate need of a dentist as my mother has an abscess tooth. All of the dentists and hospitals and nursing care facilities that I have called do not believe that they can treat my mother. The dentist who saw her was very kind and gave a referral, but the referral would not treat her. She is on penicillin right now, but we know she needs dental treatment. Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you!
Debbie Mancuso
Stow, OH
Cristy
RE: dentists for patients with HD
April 03, 2001 01:17PM
My BIL is having dental work done at the state psychiatric hospital in Hawaii (he is not a patient there, but they have a program for the disabled). I'm not sure about other states but I have heard of others taking there relatives with HD to dental schools. If all else fails get on the phone and call every dentist in the phone book until you find one that can help or knows someone who can. Good dental care is very important for Phds.

Best wishes, Cristy
Debbie I hope by now you've found someone who has helped your Mom. It's so frustrating that most dentists refuse to help someone with late-mid stage HD.
I had written someone on the net about finding dentists who help someone with a disability and this is the information they provided me, suggesting you contact this place to see if there is a dentist in your area who can help:

See [www.foscod.org] and
[www.ada.org]

which leads you to:

International Association for Disability and Oral Health
(formerly the International Association of Dentistry for the Handicapped)
[www.iadh.org]

IADH exists to serve as a focus for national academies, associations, societies and federations as well as individuals striving to improve access to, and the quality of,oral health for people with disabilities.

Hope this helps.

Love
Jean

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login