Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Undiagnosed parent?

Posted by becky 
Undiagnosed parent?
March 26, 2001 01:59PM
My father has always been physically and mentally unwell. Due to my family's dynamics, I have been told varying diagnoses over the years and can't get straightforward information. I just learned of HD from a television show and I am frightened. These men seemed just like my father and his history.

Would it be possible for someone to be with HD going undiagnosed in today's health care system? Specifically, my father is a vet and uses that system.

Can I look to have testing for myself without my father having, to my knowledge, the diagnosis?

I would appreciate all assistance.

Thank you.
Marsha
RE: Undiagnosed parent?
March 27, 2001 07:55PM
Unfortunately it's not uncommon for HD to go undiagnosed or be misdiagnosed. Try not to get too upset though because there are other diseases that your father might have which are not hereditary.

In the early days of presymptomatic testing, facilities and doctors followed strict protocols and it was hard to get them to agree to test someone for the HD gene whose parent had not tested or been clinically diagnosed. These days, you can find a doctor who would test you and a lab which would agree to do it.

You might want to think though before you do this. Going through testing is a very stressful time and many people benefit from some counseling beforehand. It's also a good idea to make sure you have health, life, and long term care insurance before testing in case you do have the gene. We have articles and links on our FAQ pages about testing that I think you will find helpful.

I wish there was a way for you to find out more information about your father's condition. There might be a clear diagnosis of something other than HD that you just haven't been told about. Perhaps you could go with him to his next doctor's appointment. I do understand about family dynamics though.

I wish you the best of luck. I'll be thinking about you. I hope you will keep in touch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login