Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

FEELING OF BEING HOT ALL THE TIME

Posted by LizzieAnn 
FEELING OF BEING HOT ALL THE TIME
March 04, 2009 01:21PM
I've heard others mention that as a phd they felt cold and had difficulty maintaing their body heat. I've also read the article on a mice study in which average body temp was possibly 3.5-10 degrees lower in the mice studies.

My phd says he's hot all the time. He now has almost zero body fat and has lost about 35 lbs over last couple of years but he says he's hot all the time. No body fat and uses just a tiny thin blanket in the middle of winter while I'm sleeping w/ 3 thick blankets. He can't wear long sleeves as he says he's hot. He'll go stand outside in the cold to "cool" off. He's so thin but still says he's hot all the time?

Anyone else relate?
Re: FEELING OF BEING HOT ALL THE TIME
March 04, 2009 07:31PM
Too hot or too cold. that's m,e.I think HD eventually affects various glands which are controlled in the brain but affect most of your body. The HD mice die with enlarged adrenals and we found out that I have enlarged adrenals too. When I pointed out the mice adrenals info i was told that the mice have a much higher CAG and have nothing to do with HD. Nobody could tell me the effect of glands thru HD, so this is one area where they have not thought about it.
I tend to take off my clothes due to temperature perceptions. I now wear layers with zippers or buttons in front until the bottom layer which is harder to get off.
Dusty
March 04, 2009 08:09PM
I've noticed for awhile my pHD husband gets over heated very easily. If we are taking a 20 minute walk at his pace, I will not even break out in a sweat. He on the other hand will be sweating profusely. He is also having difficulty walking, but even before walking was a problem any excertion no matter how slight would have him sweating. After he takes a shower he has to cool down with the window and doors open even if it is cold, and after the shower he will sweat profusely. He never complains of being cold.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2009 08:10PM by Debra.
March 05, 2009 09:24AM
My phd is also hot all the time...he is also sleeping with just a sheet in the winter and never wants to ware a coat...we were thinking maybe it was some of the medication he was on...intresting to read others are having the same trouble
March 05, 2009 11:30AM
Interesting suggestion about the medications. My phd is on Risperdal and Mematine. What is your phd taking?
March 05, 2009 12:23PM
I get very cold very easy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2009 12:40PM by Barb.
March 05, 2009 11:36PM
He's on Zoloft..Xanax...Namenda...Amantadine...Exalon Patch....I was thinking the Zoloft might be making him hotter...but it could just be the disease...
March 06, 2009 06:17AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. Seems my phd is not the only one.

Nila, only common medication I see is Namenda.

All those extra calories must be being burned up with the internal furnace.
March 06, 2009 07:50AM
They do. It is also important to always have water to drink, gallons of water, cold makes it easier to swallow.I get low on liquids occasionally and was very frustrated to be in an er bed without water. I got out of the bed and went home where I drank a whole gallon.
Dusty
March 06, 2009 08:17AM
looking at this the chinese way its the heating/cooling system which is out of balance. The heating is the heart and cooling the kidney so there coordination is in imbalance.
The kidney needs to be kept warm and the hard needs some cooling food.
Cooling means bitter tasty vegetable or tea and warming the kidney is done by warm tea with ginger/cinnamon/honey.
We see that patients are actually warm/hot on the surface whilst the inside is rather cool.
Ernst
March 06, 2009 09:39AM
The actual body core temperature is regulated from the brain as well as perceptions of feeling hot or cold. My wifes temp is very seldom 98.6. It's usually higher and that kicks off sweating to cool down. Her perception as been that she is cold. On 60 degree days outside I would come home to find the thermostat turned all the way up and the house a furnace. That's a killer on the heating bill... smiling smiley I suppose it's no surprise that either way (core temp. or perception) is goofed up a little bit considering where both are regulated from.
March 06, 2009 10:03AM
Eric,

Yes, perception may be part of the equation.

Thanks, Ernst.

I find your chinese balance info very helpful as we all know different foods effect the body differently.
March 06, 2009 10:05AM
my husband also takes Namenda.
March 06, 2009 12:53PM
I take memeantine too, but my body temp problems have not been affected by it, i'm the same now as i was before the mementine smiling smiley My doctors say i have a bit of a problem regulating body temp, and for me, it's not just how i perceive it, but it is true. My hubby is a heavy guy, so he is ALWAYS hot lol, even in the winter lol, if he turns the house temp down too low, and i get cold, one side of my body goes completely white, and then i have a mini stroke cus my blood isnt circulating enough. I have Finally convinced him we Have to keep the heat at 71-72, NOT 69 lol. But in that respect, i do get colder easier and quicker than i should, and in the summer, i have to be real careful, cus i get sick from the heat easier than i should.
March 07, 2009 08:33AM
Nila, you mentioned zoloft in your med list as a possible cause to feeling hot. My phd was on zoloft and was sweating and very hot needing to lower our air all the time. My house was an ice box.Our electric bill was high, too. When we changed to effexor xr for mood stabilizing which zoloft did his body temperature went back to normal. That's why I think the zoloft caused that situation. I wish I would have realized it sooner since he was so uncomfortable and there was a different med that met his needs without these side effects.
March 09, 2009 10:34AM
It does seem that as we've increased Zoloft he has more and more trouble with sweating...i will mention it to the Dr. in our next visit...Nila
AL
March 10, 2009 12:09AM
My daughter went through a couple of years that she was always hot. She only slept under a sheet even in the winter and would not wear a coat. Now she wants cover on the bed and wears a coat, etc. She is not on any of the medications mentioned. I think it is something that goes with HD>
March 10, 2009 04:24AM
It looks like your daughter could now take warming food and drinks.
The herbs patients take are aimed at warming their kidneys and improving kidney heard coordination. So ginger/cinnamon/honey tea can do a basic job.
AL
March 10, 2009 08:41AM
She has a feeding tube.
March 10, 2009 09:01AM
I think I read memantine has a side effect of sweating. I noticed I was sweating at night more than usual when I started taking memantine, but the improvement in my mind was well worth it. Now I don't sweat as much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login