Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

LTCH Plan offered by Employer - guaranteed acceptance

Posted by Stacy-NJ 
LTCH Plan offered by Employer - guaranteed acceptance
February 23, 2009 12:31PM
I just received an e-mail for new long term health care insurance provided by my employer. It is from John Hancock. The e-mail I received says it is guaranteed acceptance regarless of health status if enrolled by a certain date. This is what it says

"All eligible, actively-at-work employees will receive guaranteed acceptance into the plan, regardless of health status, if they enroll by March 27, 2009. Your eligible family members will need to provide proof of good health before being accepted into the plan."

There will be more news to come and they will have some on site meetings. I would like any feed back - I would love to pick up some LTHC but am worried about whether or not I have to disclose the HD. I am HD positive but not symptomatic. Plus - this is my employer so I am worried about ramifications.

Thanks

Stacy-NJ
Re: LTCH Plan offered by Employer - guaranteed acceptance
February 23, 2009 12:51PM
yeah the whole 'proof of good health thing', sounds cagey...
always a loophole.

i hope you can get this without problems, good luck, we deserve
a break, right?
February 23, 2009 03:50PM
It sounds good, Stacy, I'd certainly look into it.
February 25, 2009 12:40PM
get the application for yourself and have a look at it, most times the ones that are garaunteed form work do not even have health questions on them.

good luck

Jamie
February 25, 2009 02:02PM
I am in the process of getting some LTHI myself Stacy. Good luck.

I am on disability & have no idea where to start. Any suggestions would be great.

Jemi
February 25, 2009 03:42PM
I had tried to get LTHC several years ago but because I have a postive HD test I was denied. This was an email from our employer stating if I enroll in a certain time frame I will have to provide no proof of health. I feel like there has to be a catch some where. The Insurance people will be here next week for meetings. I will get more info and go from there. I will probably get a look at the application also. I could try to apply on line off the website also - that should tell me where things stand.

I will keep you posted.

Good luck Jemi. If you know anyone who has LTHC you could ask them what company they are using.

Stacy-NJ
February 25, 2009 10:42PM
Thanks Stacy - I hope your LTHC journey ends well.

Jemi
February 26, 2009 03:28PM
Stacy, my ex got this insurance (after testing positive) under the same circumstances. Because it was a new offering for his employer, employees just had to sign up, no questionnaire, no physical. Family members had to have physicals if they also wanted the insurance but not employees. I think this is a great opportunity for you and in any case you ARE in good health.
February 27, 2009 08:18AM
Thanks Marsha

That is good to hear. I thought there might be some glitch some where. We have an on site meeting next week with John Hancock so I am looking forward to finding out more info.

Stacy-NJ
February 27, 2009 10:24AM
Stacy,

Great opportunity.

When the Fed. govt. first began offering LTC to its employees, if you selected a 5 yr benefit, you did not have to take a physical--just answer some basic questions. If you signed up for a long period such as 10 yrs or more, you were required to take a physical. Watch for that. It might not apply to you, but worth checking.

Dave
March 05, 2009 09:41AM
Just wanted to update. I had the meeting on Tuesday. There are no loop holes. There is no health screen for any active healthy employee. I can sign up and have to provide no health documents. I am going to be able to get the maximum amount of coverage for a very low price. Now I will not have to divorce my husband to save our finances. It goes into effect April 1.

I am very relieved and feel very lucky.

thumbs up smiley

Stacy-NJ
March 05, 2009 09:47AM
Hooray!!!! I am so pleased for you.
March 05, 2009 06:59PM
That is great!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login