Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Is this the way SSDI works????

Posted by indigo9585 
Is this the way SSDI works????
January 30, 2009 06:05PM
So I spent two months gathering all the info, signed doctors letters, medical info and other required documentation.
Called SS and scheduled the phone interview. They sent us a letter requesting info to be sent to them before the interview and to fill out forms online.

I filled out online forms (took an entire day), and as per the Phil Hardt page, I sent ALL my info to them. Big huge envelope full of stuff.
We had the phone interview, they asked the same questions already filled out on online forms and verified a few others.

Then they sent ALL my docs back to me!

The person we spoke to said they forward the file to a central office for processing and decision. Does this mean I will have to send those docs again?

I'm a bit confused as to why they sent all the documents back to me instead of forwarding them with the file! (could they have scanned them into the file)?

Anyone know if this is normal? I expected to get his birth cert and DD214 back, but not all my signed Dr.'s letters.

Hummmph feel like I just busted my hump to get documents they didn't even look at! Oh the frustration!
confused smileyRanting
jl
Re: Is this the way SSDI works????
January 30, 2009 08:21PM
They generally only keep a copy of the docs only where they're needed, I think, Indigo.

Limited file space.

I'll bet that if they said they'd "forwarded" them to the proper office - they probably did.

But you know - I'd call the representative you called for the phone interview, and just make sure.

You can't afford to be held up by a misunderstanding about whether they are or are not acting on your claim.....

jl
January 30, 2009 11:13PM
Yes, it's normal. They put all of your information into a computer. You need those files and records. SS doesn't keep the originals. They do it all by computer records.

They will process the file by looking at some of the data to figure out how they can refuse (imho) and then you will get your decison.

If they refuse, you can refile, and add more data, like a Neuropsych test or any new relavant inforation.

If they refuse the second time, you can either wait and refile (if you have time left) or you can go and get a "disablity attorney".

We had to get the attorney. The attorney scheduled the hearing at the SS administration. It was an 18 month lead time. Once we got there, the judge awarded the disablity claim and backdated it to the original application date.

Don't be frustrated. This is government in action. Just wait and follow the rules. If I were to do it again, I would have gotten the attorney (that you don't pay unless you get the claim) after the first refusal.

Good luck, and don't give up.
January 31, 2009 08:22AM
OMG....I can't imagine what other data I could have possibly sent. I sent anything and everything I could get my hands on.

The only thing I didn't send was the actual Dr.'s records. I couldn't get them in time and his primary Dr. wanted to wait for the request.

I sent letters from 2 neurologists and his primary physician all stating he is disabled and needs the disability. I sent the blood test results, highlighting the HD repeat info., I sent all the HD documents listed on Phil Hardts page.

Another issue was SSI for the kids and myself as opposed to getting benefits through his SSDI. I told him we didn't want to apply for SSI but on the form I got back it says we DID want to apply for SSI. So I'm wondering if they did that because I'm not working right now.

Fred....what is imho?

Geez...so far nothing has gone smoothly!
jl
January 31, 2009 08:44AM
Sounds like you've done everything right, Indigo. Fred's right that the process can be very cumbersome and time-consuming.

It will take over 5 months to get any SSDI benefits. You may or may not receive any confirmation before then whether you have qualified.

IMHO is Web-shorthand for In My Humble Opinion.

jl
February 02, 2009 08:15AM
Don't be upset. This the is the process. You are asking for a pretty big chunk of money from the government. I think that they always try and find a way out.

After sending all that info the first time, my wife was refused because they said "she can still work as a clerk" refering to a job she had at Kmart when she was 19. She had an associates' degree as and Adminstrative assistant and a real estate licence by the time the HD kicked in enough to cause her to be irratic.

I have been told by people in the know (like a neuro and a lawyer) that the disability people try and find a way to refuse the claim at least the first time.

You have to appeal with some new information, and a neuro psych test really helps as it measures the loss of executive function and identifies if the patitent has hemispherical neglect. That proves pretty much your case.

Get that done ASAP if they refuse, and start looking up the disability lawyers. They only get paid if they win. They are limited by law as to the max amount they can charge, so the rates are pretty set.

There are more than one too. Make two appointments with two of them and get some competition going. Doctor shopping may be a crime, but not lawyer shopping. The consultations are free, so consider this to be plan "B".
March 02, 2009 05:13PM
Update.

Last week got another call from SS office. She wanted to go over the SSI application and was very very nice. I told her that I was unsure why the 1st guy started the SSI paperwork (with the SSDI) and she said the same thing. It doesn't look like you qualify but I will send you out some papers, review them and hold on to them. If you want to refile later it will save some steps if your situation should change.

Meanwhile she said the SSDI paperwork was processing through another office.

So just like she said I got the papers. There was nothing on them saying you do or do not qualify but just a summary of what we discussed (assets and such). So I filed them with the SSDI papers I have and forgot them.

Today I get a letter from my bank with an electronic funds transfer disclosure. Under type of funds it says...."SSI US TREAS. 310, Supp. Sec." We will begin depositing the prearranged amount to your account upon notice from the originating company.

Humm...what is that? SSI or SSDI? No additional letters from SS, nothing on the "check status" website. Anyone else ever get this BEFORE an approval letter?

By the way...she also told me once he is approved for SSDI the paperwork goes to a "no call" office where they actually process the payments and get them started. She said not to expect payment for 60-90 days after the approval letter because this office is so backed up it take them that long.

Is it me or is this process just a bit strange?

Fish smileyconfused smileyeye rolling smiley
March 02, 2009 06:04PM
If someone qualifies for both SSI and SSDI, the SSI processes faster than the SSDI. When the SSDI starts, the amount of the SSI is lowered or eliminated. The SSDI does take longer . SSI is a low income/low asset program for disabled and aged who otherwise might not qualify for the minimum SSDI or SS benefit. In my daughter's case, yes we did get a notifcation from the bank first. When someone qualifies for SSI they usually qualify for Medicaid also which is good as there is no 2 year waiting period as there is with Medicare. The procedure can seem a bit convoluted but most things run by the government are not very efficient or staightforward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2009 06:07PM by howard.
March 02, 2009 06:58PM
Ahh...thanks howard. It must be temporary as they do know that as of this week my PHD's short term disability is over and since he is out of FMLA his employment is terminated. We've been awaiting LTD and SSDI but without these his income will be -0- until approved.

We'll have to continue COBRA as once SSDI & LTD are approved he would not qualify for Medicaid any longer. We can't risk being without medical insurance at this point.

I'm surprised after that last phone call that SSI would be approved, but not going to turn it away at this point either. I do have to say the woman I spoke with was an angel. She was full of info (had been there for over 20years) and was more then willing to go into detail about how things would work. A nice change from the cold interview!
March 02, 2009 07:18PM
I'm glad it's all starting to work out for you. It sounds similar to Canada. When my husband had to go on disability )circulation trouble in his legs), we had to wait several months for disability approval, but in the meantime they put us on social assistance until the disability came through. Good luck to you, sounds like you're doing everything right smiling smiley
jl
March 02, 2009 10:47PM
Ha! My LTD kicked in automatically, once mY STD ended. But then, the insurance carrier was the same for both.......

jl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login