Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Patients who frequently kick or cry out in their sleep may be at an increased risk of developing a neurodegenerative disease

Posted by maahearna 
[www.medpagetoday.com]

Interesting article and findings. I know I have had these sleeping behaviors (kicking and crying out) since I was very young and I have HD. I did sleep studies in my early 30's and the technician commented on how much my legs move when I am sleeping (this was before I started realizing I had HD but it caused me to pause and think for a moment about my risk for HD). Later as the disease progressed, I would go to bed with my legs moving and wake up with my legs kicking. Since I started Lamictal last fall this has greatly decreased and I get much more restful and continuous sleep.

Margie
pHD
CAG 43
39 y/o
Interesting article.

I mentioned to my hubby's neuro at his last appt. that his sleep difficulites with hollering and kicking were a big problem for us before he started taking the risperadol. Since taking the medication all those sleep problems have stopped completely. The neuro seemed surprised that the medication had done that and seemed to doubt our statement about it at the time. I wasn't surprised and new it was the Risperadol as when he stopped taking it briefly the symptoms started up again.
hmmm, i feel this study is backwards. I developed a sleep disorder AFTER i got hd symptoms, and never had trouble with sleep before i got hd. As hd kills brain cells in dif areas of the brain, it also kills cells in the sleep area of the brain, causing that area of the brain to not function properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2008 04:50PM by Barb.
Legs kicking were first thing for T too. I wouldn't say crying out was a thing though. She did vocalize a lot... talk and laugh in her sleep.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login