Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Placement in Houston area

Posted by annie conley 
Placement in Houston area
March 01, 2001 02:26PM
I have an uncle who has HD, and we have had to place him in assisted living this past year. He has enough income to pay for a pretty nice facility, but he has been increasingly difficult to handle at the facility because he insists on leaving unsupervised, and he drinks while out. Since the drinking dramatically interferes with his medication, he presents a behavioral problem for the facility to manage. He is thinking that he can live on his own in spite of the fact that he is incontinent, has severe judgement impairment and he becomes very pschotic when his meds are not maintained and when mixed with alcohol which he refuses to give up. We are having to obtain guardianship for his safety and the safety of others, but are unable to find appropriate placement for him that is a secured facility and that can manage his uncooperative behavior. If anyone has any ideas about an appropriate facility, I would sincerely appreciate the input.
We have seceral NH in houston area. Each NH is different. This week end March 18, at 1:00pm we will meet at Polly ryan Hospital in Richmond Texas, And we will have a NH Adminstrator there telling us how to chose a NH. and He will try to help others. If you are in the Houston area as of now,There is NH in League City with 2 phd,1 in Needville Texas, i Phd in Hempstead. our Phone number is 281-341-9061. call if you need. Mystepson has Jhd. We live in Rosenberg. David Bialas. <><
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login