Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

thanks Marsha

Posted by lesley 
thanks Marsha
February 27, 2001 04:15PM
Author: lesley (202.76.172.---)
Date: 02-26-2001 16:26

Marsha thanks so much for replying so promptly. What is the treatment that you speak of. You seem to be very much aware of what is happening in the medical field. We have been told to expect a treatment and hopefully cure down the track, but doctors here are saying in the next 10-20 years.
If you could give me some more information on what is expected to happen this year I would appreciate it. I know they have been doing tests on mice, and from one of your other replies, read that something with Q10 is expected. More detail would be great.
Thanks for your help.
Lesley
Marsha
RE: thanks Marsha
February 27, 2001 05:58PM
Yes, the CoQ10 is what I'm excited about. The results of the CARE-HD study, which involved Remacemide and CoQ10 are due out in about two months. My guess is that if CoQ10 is effective in slowing HD progress, it is going to be a modest effect. But any effect is good news because it buys time. And it would be very significant because CoQ10 delays onset and slows progress in the HD mice. If it does the same for people, this would be confirmation that we are right to be excited about all the new research findings.- CoQ10, creatine, minocycline, and EPA all delay onset and progress in the mice. Clinical trials in people are starting for the last three.

I think the neurotrophic factor research sounds very promising too.

I always attend the research workshops at the conventions and I also attended a Thanksgiving dinner for HD researchers. They really are very enthusiastic at the progress being made. One of them, whom I noticed was more cautious in her optimism the first time I met her in 1998, has said that the progress from the lab to clinical trials is proceding much faster than she had expected.

I wrote an essay about reasons for hope. [www.hdac.org]
March 02, 2001 08:05PM
Martha
I just had to write and tell you your response to Lesley was very uplifting for me. I am facing taking the test to see if I carry the gene or not. My father has HD and it has been very devestating for me. I feel I have it now and are doomed, even though my nero has said I show no signs. I feel I have signs which of course are signs of many other things such as stress and anxiety of it all, but agian, I am convinced I have it and hearing someone with a positive upbeat on it really, for an instance made me feel better. Just wanted you to know that.
Thank You
Lisa
March 02, 2001 08:07PM
Sorry...............Marsha. Wrote your name wrong.
Lisa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login