Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

House

Posted by dustyblues 
Re: House
December 04, 2008 01:18PM
i have only seen 2 episodes of HOUSE and i missed the one about HD. if anyone knows of when it will air again, please post it so i can catch it.

i think it is wonderful that they are making it a part of the show. do we know if someone on the show or affiliated with the show has hd?
December 04, 2008 01:55PM
I've searched online but no luck.
(Even through messageboards at fox.com)
December 09, 2008 06:23PM
Hey Joan, welcome to the forum! So glad HOUSE made you post lol. I'm kinda mid-late onset, im 51 and started symptoms 6 years ago, nice to meet you smiling smiley
December 09, 2008 06:32PM
hello,

For the US people I think you can see any episode here:

[www.hulu.com]

The episode which shows HD is the last one, 10th.
December 09, 2008 10:22PM
Hi Barb and other House fans.

I hear that Hugh Laurie is hosting Saturday Night Live.
Definitely worth tivo-ing.

The wave
December 09, 2008 11:04PM
...who is Hugh Laurie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 05:40AM by Barb.
December 10, 2008 05:42AM
Hugh Laurie is Dr. House
Shy
December 10, 2008 05:48AM
I'm a bit confused. House in Australia is supposed to be one week behind the US, but the last few episodes have gone back to the original team of doctors and character 13 is nowhere to be seen??? Are we seeing old episodes or do the two teams of doctors eventually merge together as one??? The episode on tele tonight was of a mother who suffered seizures in the bath nearly drowning her new infant son, then she ended up smothering him anyway after post partum depression and deficiency in vitamin A - the voices told her to do it! So where is the HD storyline and how far behind are we from the US? Anyone?
December 10, 2008 08:54AM
The original team of doctors was Foreman, Chase and Cameron.

During season 3, House had a competition to fill new slots.

Since he couldn't remember names he had them wearing numerals on their chests.

Thirteen was one of those. We find out that her mom had HD when House presses her about her past.

We're now in season 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 09:19AM by joanie004.
December 10, 2008 09:37AM
The show about the baby is two years old I think.
The shows pertaining to HD are staggered last year as 13 joins the team.and more this year. Let them eat cake. and the most recent last night. They have two streams of House here in Canada, one is the newest on global and the other is advertised as catch up with the shows you missed.
Barb, 13 s test that she was showing symptoms is slow finger tapping, but they seem to have a finger tapping machine. I m old fashioned, just got a piano ha ha
dusty
December 10, 2008 02:33PM
lol Dusty smiling smiley What's this about a finger tapping machine Dusty? I wonder what kind of drug trial the lady with hd is in? Does anyone know? Last night i saw House for the first time in months. I was pretty shocked seeing the lady with hd, because i still dont really know what hd looks like, and so it frightened me seeing that. So i guess that's what chorea looks like??? But the lady seemed real alert and quick, she didnt seem slow and confused, and had nobody with her to help her figure out everything.
December 10, 2008 04:30PM
I'm delighted I'm delusional enough to think that

Thirteen and I have anything in common and not worry about my

shortcomings. tongue sticking out smiley
December 12, 2008 10:11PM
Thanks Jemi, I called and left Fox a message thanking them for bringing awareness to HD. I would encourage more people to do this, positive feedback could go a long way.
December 12, 2008 11:58PM
If you have been watching House religiously since it first hit the air as we have at our "house", you would know that the writers have dealt with HD at least once or maybe even twice per season prior to 13 coming on the show. In addition to the patients who have had it, many times it was mentioned as the "underlings" tried to match symptoms to diseases in order to treat the patients. I have noticed that some diseases receive repeat performances on the show. Those appearances have usually followed the diagnosis of a celebrity with an unusual disease or something in the news.

In my opinion, that and a dollar will get you a cheap cup of coffee, I think maybe HD is not only unusual to the common person but also "mysterious". You know the producers watch the ratings, have staff reading message boards, etc. There are many people interested/concerned about the disease. There are people who no longer come here in addition to those who have never been here. We really have no way of knowing how many people may have written into the show asking the producers for someone to have the disease, or as another poster mentioned, someone affiliated with the show may have a family member or friend with HD.

Even with HD, I still consider myself an academician albeit not on the level I was at one time, and even if I?m not, the teacher in me thought some research on Hugh Laurie was in order. Thus, I did and was quite surprised at the length and breadth of his resume. I found out many interesting things, but I will share only a few with you.

Hugh Laurie's father was a mild-mannered doctor and an Olympic Medalist. Hugh was expected to follow in his father's footsteps, for his parents had high goals for him. His mother was extremely critical of his actions her entire life.

He was reared in a strict Scottish Presbyterian home and is more of the product of his upbringing than he would like to admit. His work ethic and the feeling suffering is a virtue are only two of a long list of characteristics he exhibits as a result of the life at home with his family. Surprisingly, the religious teachings he received are no longer part of his life; he is now an atheists.

The Laurie family had their own medical issues to deal with over the years. Hugh shared a love of rowing with his father, but mononucleosis ended his career. He continually fights bouts of depression with psychotherapy and antidepressants. His mother Patricia died when Hugh was 29; she had a "motor neurone disease".

Upon finding out Hugh was born in Oxford, I immediately thought of the possibility of Patricia?s ?motor neurone disease? having been HD.

While researching Mr. Laurie, I remembered that the show's creator, David Shore, has a "thing" for Sherlock Holmes. Are House and his best friend James Wilson modern day versions of Holmes and John Watson? The story Wilson told about Irene Adler being ?the one that got away, from House was a reference to the Irene Adler in A Scandal in Bohemia. She was one person to outwit Holmes. As you know Sherlock Holmes was far more interested in solving his cases than he was the people who were affected by them. Maybe there is no person behind the treatment of HD on the show. Maybe it is just Shore, imitating his hero and finding HD a mystery to be solved and will keep it on the program in some form or another until there is some type of movement or resolution for us.

For whatever reason it is on the show, we are thankful, for at our ?house? we know that education is power. Therefore the more people who become educated about HD, the better the chance of finding a cure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login