Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Talking to my lawyer soon

Posted by pam 
pam
Talking to my lawyer soon
October 14, 2008 12:14PM
HI everyone,

I have been divorced for 8 years-been getting alimony from my ex as it was a long-term marriage and he made good $$$ when we got divorced. My ex wants to go back to court to change his alimony commitment. Have a meeting with my lawyer next Tues.

My question is-how do I explain to the judge and my lawyer, that I am unable to work. I have tested positive for HD am 52, not showing signs right now, but I think the stress of working and not having time to exercise and take care of myself would bring on symptoms. Do you think a letter from my neuro would help? Any HD article you could suggest to print off for them to read?

Thanks for the input!
Pam
jl
Re: Talking to my lawyer soon
October 14, 2008 06:46PM
I truly think that verification and documentation from my neuro helped a whole lot, Pam!
dcb
October 14, 2008 10:14PM
have you thought about appliing for disability or other sup support?
I am sorry but I need more info to go to far, but at the point I read now, ws HD an issue at the time of divorce? Do you have children you are supporting?

DCB
*Living for today*
October 15, 2008 09:47AM
ARE you unable to work, as you say? If that is the case I would state why. You state "not showing signs right now". Why are you unable to work if you are not showing signs? In theory you may not show any signs until age 80+, depending on how the disease progresses with you individually.
Or do you mean not showing physical signs? If you are having memory problems these are addressed in many articles and state how memory loss in those with HD can effect someone's ability to learn new job skills or have difficulty in training for new abilities as this is impaired. Employment doesn't always have to cause stress, and having a job to supplement your alimony may be a good thing.
If the alimony is judged to be lowered maybe you could have your lawyer request that it be lowered temporarily, only until your HD progresses to where you are unable to work and verified by a Neurologist. That way it would be possible to have the alimony increased back up at the point that you truely are unable to do any kind of work or to maintain employment. Good Luck!
pam
October 15, 2008 01:51PM
LizzieAnne,
Good Point! Had not thought about the possibility of (if the judge reduces it) to having it increased later if I am unable to work.

I am not showing any physical signs and dont think I'm showing any mental signs except slight depression which is controled with paxil. Had an MRI of my brain about 18 months ago and it was normal.

You are right too-not working can be just as stressful!
dcb
October 15, 2008 10:24PM
Pam, I am at risk for HD, also no signs at this point. I am in a long term marriage, w/2 children and a stay at home mom. If hubby and I divorce next week I would be sure I got child support and the property or monitary value of the property we own split properly, but I would need to obtain a job to support myself and my kids.

As I see it from what you have disclosed--HD symptoms were not the cause of the divorce... and you have been divorced for 8 years....You are able to work... why does x hubby have to support you??

Please Explain--

DCB
*Living for today*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login