Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Term Life Insurance Question

Posted by LizzieAnn 
Term Life Insurance Question
September 30, 2008 12:04PM
Does anyone know the answer to this?

After the say 10,15,20 or 30 year term is up can the insurance company refuse to renew the policy? I know it's renewed each year as long as you pay the premiums, but could they find out about an HD diagnosis during the policy period and raise your rates to whatever they want to after your term has expired so that you could never afford the rate or could they cancel the policy after the term period is up?
Re: Term Life Insurance Question
September 30, 2008 12:47PM
the policies that we have (we have them with 2 different companies) say that by having these term policies we are guaranteed insurability.

there is age target's within the term that we could convert this term policy to a whole life policy without any health questions. i don't know if another term policy would qualify or if it is just whole policies. the example that each agent used was in case any one of us is diagnosed with diabetes, would could still purchase additional insurance with no questions.

also, on our children, i think up until they are 25, they can purchase insurance with no health questions. again, i don't know if the term policy is an option or if they would have to purchase whole life.

call your agent and just casually ask, "our term policy will be expiring _____date, what are our options?"
September 30, 2008 01:13PM
I would love to know which company has this provision for children.

My 22 year old daughter, who is at risk, is without insurance and since her father has been identified as gene + pre-symptomatic.

I am worried about getting insurance for her. Of course the Huntington question is up front on the forms. How do you answer the question, does your parent have Huntington's? My husband has not yet reached clinic onset, but I know if it goes to our family doctor he will identify the Huntington's.

How have others handled this problem?

CP
September 30, 2008 01:26PM
We currently have life insurance, but when the term ends I wonder if they will raise the premium so much you can't afford it if they know you have HD at that point. I ask because our supplemental health insurance company is a "sister" company of the life insurance company and now the supplemental health insurance company is aware of the HD now that it has been diagnosed and afraid the life insurance company will now be aware of it.
Our policy does say it can be converted W/I 3 years of the term expiring, but does the whole life coverage then reduce the face value from what it was as a term policy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2008 01:28PM by LizzieAnn.
October 03, 2008 08:28AM
the forms we filled out did not ask about HD at all.

the agent ask questions and we answered them. he was asking about relatives with cancer, stroke, etc.....he then ask about mental illness...and then caught himself and said, "wait, this company doesn't require that." or something along those lines.
October 03, 2008 08:50AM
Rowan,

What is the name of the company you are insured under?

I am desparate to get some insurance for my daughter.

CP
October 03, 2008 11:23AM
Hi, I'm new here but saw your question and thought I could help. I'm 22 and recently tested positive. Before I tested I purhcased a life insurance policy, that isn't a term policy, its a universal life insurance. I was asked maybe 2 questions about my health, mainly tobacco related, and had a mouth swab. That's it. No genetic disease questions or neurological questions. That might be a good idea for a young person at risk.

Also, it's really cheap for young adults.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login