Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Forgetting simple math a symptom?

Posted by simmerdownnow 
Forgetting simple math a symptom?
September 22, 2008 08:29AM
Is forgetting simple math calculations a symptom? My wife is at risk, but has opted to not be tested.

She called me today with a question on how to do a simple math calculation.

It was how to convert total inches into number of feet. She is measuring cabinets for shelf liner. The shelves are 30 inches long and there are 3 shelves. She was wanting me to confirm her calculation of 30 inches X 3 = 90. 90/12 = number of feet needed, since the rolls of paper are listed in feet.
Re: Forgetting simple math a symptom?
September 22, 2008 09:10AM
It could be, but you probably need to look at a "history" of this sort of thing. Do you see her asking questions that you are thinking.."you should know the answer to this, or you would have know the answer in the past".
I remember thinking to myself (but never said it outloud to him", He is asking "dumb" questions. Of course at that time we didn't know he had HD and now in hindsite it makes sense.
Just a couple of days ago my husband said he was going to put a frozen pizza in the oven for us to eat when we both got home from work. He called me as he gets home before me and asked "do I leave the cardboard disc under the pizza when I put it in the oven?" I see much more now he is forgetting the things he should know the answer to or would have known the answer in the past.
LizzieAnn
September 22, 2008 09:11AM
I'm not at risk, and trust me I'd be calling my husband for confirmation also! I don't do numbers! I surrender
September 22, 2008 02:27PM
No this is not hd for sure. I'm in the early stages myself, so i know what hd is like for myself, anyways. If this was hd, your wife would not even be measuring the cabinets for shelf liner. She would either have no interest in shelf liner period, or, she definitely would not even try to calculate how much was needed, she would just say, i dont know, just buy 20 rolls of the stuff, and take back what we dont use. If you insisted on her measuring it, she would look at you and yell no you measure it. She would not be measuring this, and even better at least trying to calculate it, believe me.
September 22, 2008 02:40PM
lol...Barb good point

Margie
pHDRolling on the floor laughing
September 22, 2008 02:53PM
LOL Barb... that's spot on. The very earliest symptoms can always be either a symptom or not. I wish there was a way for people to take note of things that are a little odd and not either obsess about them or totally forget them. That is hard to do. There just isn't an ah-hah moment really early on. That is usually later and then those other little things may be explained at that point.
September 22, 2008 04:27PM
BARB,

you are the great translator, you have the ability to interpret hd for us, in laymans terms...

THANK YOU! I'm your cheerleader
jl
September 22, 2008 07:59PM
I measure everything. I purchase everything. I install everthing.

Probably because I don't have anyone to "honey-do". I'm not sure whether that has anything to do with HD............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2008 08:00PM by jl.
September 22, 2008 10:35PM
I have HD and still can do math, at least the checkbook, bills, and such. However the math problem you described is not that common, finding how many feet in an amount of inches -- measurment like that sometimes can stump a gal who hasn't been doing a lot of math in awhile. haha
September 22, 2008 11:38PM
I did the exact same math recently. I ALSO called my husband to confirm each step. I call him on this sort of things because it makes me feel better to confirm with him that I am thinking it out correctly and I think it makes him feel good that I need him to complete more manly tasks (lol).
September 23, 2008 08:50AM
I see Barb's point, that many people with HD do not maintain the same interest in upgrading/remodeling something as they would in the past. My phd spouse has some interest in things...lets fix this up....lets build this...but, asking him HOW we're going to accomplish these big ideas and it sort of lets the "air out of his bubble" as he realizes he probably wouldn't be able to complete the task as easily as before. My spouse is really considered early midstage, as his balance is all over the place, chorea is somewhat controlled with meds and he just tested fairly poorly on a psych memory test. But, he struggles, he struggles and tries so hard to keep the life he wants to maintain... to stay in the workplace still and maintain his employment as he wants to. So lack of initive is not always a sign of HD, he's like the train that keeps saying...I think I can, I think I can! His body and mind just doesn't make it as easy as it once was.
But, again I agree with the others that you can't worry about every little thing. If/When she starts showing symptoms you can put it together then. WHAT IF it's was an early symptom that she could not do simple math, would it change anything in her/your life now? Not as long as she's not a math teacher.
September 23, 2008 09:31AM
Well my IQ has dropped from 144 to 123.The ratio of math to verbal questions in my IQ test indicated that my verbal has increased because I had a complete review of math one on one with Reid every day, and I got to grade 9 graphing calculators with him. I was brilliant in geometry as a child and got 98 on high school geometry.
Suddenly about three years ago I lost the ability to count the stitches I was knitting. Writing numbers there is no guarantee that I will write the right number, but I also have a focusing problem with my eyes.
So everyday I begin with spider on the computer to keep my mousing skills up and basic numbers. I play 4 suit spider.
Another thing I have noticed is that when there is a time limit to answer like on our CBC dueling brains programs I miss question after question, but when I have no time limit I get to the answer.
In my experience HD has greatly affected my math abilities.
Dusty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2008 08:12PM by dustyblues.
db
September 23, 2008 11:10AM
I need help I have a question . I was thinking about Barb's statement about the shelf paper . I know Barb , Dusty , Alice and others ; you with HD still have a desire to do things . Barb has her sewing , Alice has her writing and painting , Dusty does swimming along with many other things . So , how do you get those things done without a desire first , before you do that activity ? I think of many things that I would like to do , with good intent , in my mind ; but often nothing gets done . Please those with HD help me to understand this symptom , in your own words . Thanking you so much , for your answers . dbCoffee and computer
September 23, 2008 02:42PM
Thank you....all of you...for your feedback and opinions.
September 23, 2008 06:21PM
db, do you enjoy doing something that you've done all your life? Are you still able to do that one thing? I'm not sure what helps me do things, but I still want to. I think the therapy I go to, twice a week has a lot to do with it. I'm encouraged and praised, which I eat up, makes me feel great, so I gotta keep doing things to get that acknowledgement. But some things, like writing, I've done since age 5, with passion and it makes me feel good on its own, so I keep doing it. I also have always loved being around little children, so the volunteering is also easy, once I get going at it. However I do notice my initiative in some ways is down. I wake up and sit on the side of the bed, and I can hardly get myself to get up and get going. I just sit there, rubbing my temples, as if I'm downloading some program before I can move! Same when sitting in the bathroom. Why don't I just go and then get up and leave? I just sit there, staring at the cat, who loves pat my toes when I'm in the bathroom. haha. I also find I'm lying down on the sofa more than once a day, just for a half hour or so, for no reason, but it seems like if I don't I'll not be able to continue with some activities. I need a rest for my mind, I think. I don't know how you can change, but I think it would take a real desire to accomplish something you really love.
September 24, 2008 03:17PM
Alice,
I so agree with you--getting going is so hard--in the a.m. and in the bathroom--just no motivation to get up and move. I do have to rest during the day--especially physically to relax my muscles but also to relax my mind.

In the morning, I just can not get up and go--I really have to give myself time. I feel like if I force myself to get going too soon I will fall or crash or it will be too physically difficult.

Margie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login