Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Paying for NH

Posted by Patricia 
Paying for NH
September 16, 2008 04:07PM
I'm concerned about paying for nursing home care in the event that I need it. I'm 47, CAG 41. I haven't been to a neurologist yet because I don't have LTC insurance. My problem is that I have a considerable amount of weight to lose before I would qualify for LTC insurance and since weight has been a lifelong battle for me, I'm not sure I'll be successful in losing the weight to qualify.

If I understand right, Medicaid only pays for nursing home care if you don't have any money. We're not rich but do have 401K's. That money would be for my husband to live on during retirement and wouldn't pay for very long in a NH anyhow. So how do people get Medicaid and yet have money for their spouse? This is my primary concern right now.

Thanks,

Patty
dcb
Re: Paying for NH
September 16, 2008 04:20PM
I am not overly familiar in this area considering we are right now in the midst of using my dads long saved money and pension to pay for his NH .. but I do know of people in your position who have gotten a "paper only divorce" {My hubbies grand parents had to do this several years back, so she could keep some of what they had worked so hard for so grpa could get the assistance he needed in a NH}

Grandma hated doing it, but they both knew in their hearts is was what was best and believed marriage is not a peice of paper but how you feel for each other.

just a thought...but from my understanding Medicaid does want you broke b4 they assist.

DCB
*Living for today*
September 16, 2008 04:48PM
It may depend on what state you're in for medicaid, as medicaid is partially state funded. With Medicaid if you have a spouse which is called a "community spouse", the person in the Nursing Facility is the institutionalized member & is allowed to assign a portion of their resources over to their community spouse to keep and it is not considered. (currently that amount is $20,880 in Kentucky) the institutionalized individual is allowed $2000 and the community spouse $20,880). Any amount of resources above that would be divided in 1/2 at Nursing Facility admission and the person would be private pay on that until within resource limits. There are allowable ways to take some of your resources and set up irrovocable burial plans, etc, so that the excess resources will not count towards medicaid. Also, you could take extra resources and do things such as pay off mortgage etc, which the homestead is excluded also for the community spouse to live in. Also, if the community spouse has no income or income below a certain limit the institutionalized spouse is allowed to assign their income over to the community spouse to live on. Hope that helps some.
Also, a little know fact is a "Resource Assessment" in many, if not all states you can request this once the institutionalized individual is in the Nursing Facility and is considered private pay, (1st you must already be in the Nursing Facility) and then the community spouse request a resource assessment at the local medicaid office, once that is done they add up all you resources of the 2 of you (for example 100,000.00) they divide that in 1/2 (50,000.00 each) and then teh community spouse is allowed to keep their 1/2 (up to $104,400.00) and the institutionalized spouse private pays their portion down to w/I the $2,000 resource limit) and then Medicaid kicks in and the community spouse is allowed to keep their 1/2 (the 50,000)
LizzieAnne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2008 04:55PM by LizzieAnn.
September 16, 2008 11:22PM
Please visit an attorney who specializes in elder care issues. It is extremely important to plan.
September 17, 2008 04:39PM
Thank you all so much for the information. It helps tremendously!

Patty
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login