Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Good HD on mice news

Posted by Deep 
Good HD on mice news
September 16, 2008 08:42AM
This news article looks promising, I'll be waiting on Marsha's commentsmiling smiley

[www.reuters.com]
Re: Good HD on mice news
September 16, 2008 08:50AM
me too! i can't get to the link, its blocked for me....so hopefully it is great news!!
September 16, 2008 09:05AM
The article's not available online but I'll cover it as soon as it is. There are different classes of HDACs and genetic research with mice shows that it is only inhibition of class 4 that actually is helpful. So it's good news that they have this compound.

This illustrates the importance of continuing with basic research. We know that the HD protein accumulates in the nucleus of the cell and interferes with normal gene transcription, turning off proteins that are needed and turning a few on that aren't. HDAC inhibitors can restore gene transcriptions so researchers looked for existing medications which might do this. We've just had a phase II clinical trial of phenylbutyrate which is a general HDAC inhibitor. But that drug does't look that promising. A lot of is needed and there are side effects. Other known HDAC inhibitors haven't worked in the mouse models at all.

So it was clear that more basic research needed to be done to narrow the drug target and that a drug was needed to affect that target. And now they have done it.
September 16, 2008 10:15AM
Thank you for the link into this article. It sounds very promisng and
is very good news.

Thank you so much also, Marsha, for all you do and all your deciphering.
September 16, 2008 10:48AM
Sounds interesting. Glad we have Marsha here to sort through these updates!

Does anyone know what the next stage of drug development will be and when it will be likely to start?

Kathy
September 16, 2008 10:58AM
That is very encouraging! I, too, want to thank you Marsha. I would be lost without your explanations!

Patty
September 16, 2008 02:01PM
It's great news for all of us waiting here.

Thank you Marsha, your words do not only make my day but a whole week!!!

sylvia
September 16, 2008 03:05PM
I'll volunteer for primate trials. My first wife used to tell me I fit into that category. :-)

Will
September 16, 2008 08:03PM
Well you must be starving lately then Will, with the price of bananas over the last year or so I hope you've been able to supplement your diet with leaves or ants!! smiling bouncing smiley

Debbie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login