Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Coping

Posted by Kathy61 
Coping
September 12, 2008 05:31AM
Hi
I'm new to this site and have found it very helpful over the past few days since my husband began showing signs of HD.
To say that I'm devastated is an understatement.
He'll be 50 in a couple of months and has begun to be fidgety and restless - he can't sit still without scratching, moving etc. There are no other symptoms as yet but I am convinced that this is the beginning. I haven't said anything to him yet, I don't even know if he's noticed the symptoms himself.
Should I just wait a while, or should I go and discuss it with my GP?

Kathy
JFB
Re: Coping
September 12, 2008 07:36AM
Welcome Kathy.

SO sorry to hear that you are here for the same reason as some of us.

The restlessness might be a first sign, but my wife was "restless" ever since i met her smiling smiley

the first sympton a few have noticed was the ability to maintan speed while driving. I first noticed that with BIL and then latter with wife.

as far as self awareness, I would say with out any type of acknowledment from some one else, no. Even though she is well aware of her family history my wife still is unaware of her movements or behavior.

Making some one aware is a very personal discision and I may have created my own problem with protecting my wife from becoming aware of her symptoms. I still feel she is doing better at this stage by not being informed, but it makes life very dificult for me now and I now think the future will be even worse.
September 12, 2008 07:36AM
Welcome.
September 12, 2008 08:13AM
Thank you both for your kind words and welcome.

JFB - I have sent you a private mesage. I hope you don't mind.

Kathy
September 12, 2008 08:35AM
Welcome Kathy, i am glad you are here but sorry for the reason that you have joined us.

My husband has some slight symptoms and like you, i don't want to mention those to him because he seems oblivious to them. Sometimes i wonder if he really doesn't see them or just chooses not to.

again, nice to meet you,

there are lots of great people on here that will be a major source of strength, support and information as we all go forward on this journey.
September 12, 2008 09:05AM
Hi Rowan,

It's a great comfort to know that there are people like you out there who know what I am going through.

Please keep in touch if you would like to.

Kathy
jl
September 12, 2008 11:38AM
Welcome, Kathy. You're right, it IS a great source of strength to be able to communicate with people who KNOW what you're going through.
bj
September 12, 2008 11:57AM
Welcom Kathy,
My husband was around 50 when I notice the change in him as his personality,different movements that he made and his driving habits
don't think he noticed these changes. I think in his own mind that he knew he had HD but at that point he was in denial.As for saying anything to him that's a decison only you can make.
wishing you well

BJ
September 12, 2008 12:45PM
Kathy,

There are a few of us in a similar situations, with a spouse likely showing early signs and the individual not being aware. That certainly describes my husband. My pharmacist explained that this was a frequent feature of neurological disease.

Please before you go to your GP look after insurance for your husband and any children you have. My husband went and got tested without my knowing and was so certain he didn't have HD that he failed to think of updating for himself insurance and for our adult children. They are now scrambling to figure out a way to get insurance.

If your husband isn't on supplements see if you can get him to start the creatine, OMEGA 3 (fish based), to start. Then do a search on this site because there are lots of knowledgable people here.

If you want to email off-line to me, a wife who is just coming through the shock stage please feel free.

CP
September 12, 2008 06:28PM
Kathy,
So sorry to hear what you are going through. I also have a hubby who was showing signs but at age 39 (restless and balance), and refused to admit what it "could" be. He just turned 42 and has been forced to get tested (just today) and see the neurologist. His symptoms are at their worse when he is tired and stressed.

My advice to you is make sure he is signed up for disability insurance through work, if available. If they have an option for "additional" benefits, take them. Usually the insurance needs to be in place a few months before he needs them. Also put life insurance, power of attorney and living will in place. I had my husband do these things before he would admit to HD symptoms, as I told him it was just a wise thing for both of us to do.

You are in a perfect time to start with this forum, asking the questions, looking at his family history and getting things in order. If he does have HD, most likely he will be grateful you did these things. I know right now my husband is.

Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login