Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Risperdal wearing off during day

Posted by LizzieAnn 
Risperdal wearing off during day
August 28, 2008 07:58AM
We plan on talking to the Dr. about this but would like words of advise from anyone.
My phd is on a fairly low dose of Risperdal to control chorea and the low dose does a good job at this time and we would like to keep a low dose as long as possible. He takes his morning dose and when it kicks in he calms down but around 3:00 in the afternoon it starts to wear off and he doesn't take his 2nd dose until bedtime as prescribed and it really does help improve his sleep. If he was to take his evening dose earlier in the evening all he does is sleep all early evening.
I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with the meds wearing off at certain times of the day?
My husband is currently trying still to maintain his employment. He gets off work at 3:30 so at least he doesn't have too much movement by then. I wonder if it would be effective to add a midday dosage as opposed to just 2 a day instead of increasing the 2 dosages? LizzieAnn
Re: Risperdal wearing off during day
August 28, 2008 11:11AM
We had the same problem. I think that Risperdal is a twice a day med. Do you give it 12 hours apart or at breakfast and bedtime? I'd give it exactly 12 hours apart and see if that helps. Sometimes a little extra boost of his anti anxiety medicine (such as valium) will help get him through to the next dose. As always discuss this with the doctor first.
August 28, 2008 11:11AM
Only your dr can advise you for sure. My wife takes it three times per day, but she's in later stages(obviously, doesn't still work like your husband does yet) and is under hospice home care. But there's no wearing off, since we dose three times per day. Your dr is the best person to tell of your concerns. Sorry I couldn't help more.
August 28, 2008 12:52PM
For that reason, I give my wife a dose when she awakens and then in the early afternoon--works fine.

Why wait until bedtime when chorea often stops when a person is sleeping?
August 29, 2008 07:38AM
The reason he takes his 2nd dose of Risperdal right before bedtime and not in the afternoon is 2 reasons:

1. after working all day he is tuckered out and if he takes the Risperdal in mid to late afternoon he falls asleep in his chair/couch and he says he is useless for the entire evening.

2. taking the Risperdal right before bedtime has allowed us to remain sleeping together in the same bed and he gets a much more restful sleep. Before the med he was kicking and flailing (sp) his arm/legs around in his sleep. It was not chorea as it was a purposeful movement but it is a definate problem he has had for the last couple of years and I'm sure it's HD related. It is not restless leg syndrome...much much worse and more violent. But, the Risperdal at bedtime has stopped all that for the most part. (Sleep again for the both of us...What a God Send!!)
August 29, 2008 01:38PM
I think this is one of those instances of "you can't have your cake and eat it too" Risperdal is sedating. Actually, I'm surprised your husband is able to take it and go to work too. Dave gives good sensible advice, I'd give the dose earlier and just consider it a trade off for keeping him comfortable.

We gave up on the sleeping together. I bought myself a nice comfy bed and put in a room right next door to him.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login