Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

joining military a problem?

Posted by Rowan 
joining military a problem?
August 05, 2008 02:27PM
would joining the military with an at-risk status be any kind of a problem? i'm just talking about ethically i guess. i know it would not come up on any admissions papers (or would it?)

i am just thinking if my son could join the military and have 20 yrs of good health and be able to retire from there with medical benefits, this might be his best avenue after high school.

my dad and FIL were in the military but i don't know much at all about how all that works....it is extremely intimidating to me to even begin to tackle.

any insight would be helpful. i am just bouncing this around in my mind. i'm not sure if my son would be interested but he is curious about it, i can tell that much. he has a cousin in the air force.
Re: joining military a problem?
August 05, 2008 03:17PM
Rowan,

I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't be accepted because of his at-risk status. Everyone is at-risk for something. You're right about the benefits - they're excellent. I'm a retired reservist. When I started drawing pay at age 60 I became eligible for Tricare. Active duty retirees start drawing pay and become Tricare eligible immediately.

Will
August 05, 2008 03:22PM
Isn't this issue what the GINA legislation is all about ?

Besides, if they don't know their status, they have what is called "crediable deniablity".
August 05, 2008 07:28PM
I have a friend who's son is in the military and tested and the military does know he tested positive and they are fine with it so far. He is not symptomatic and he is in fine physical shape. Runs marathons. Another friend, now passed, Marc ( always called me his favorite OLD person ) was in 2 branches of the service. He was a paratrooper for 4 years, then joined another branch of which he had to leave because he became symtomatic. It was very sad as he loved serving. I think your son should join if that's what he wants to do. Let us know what he decides to do. Pat
August 06, 2008 02:11AM
The whole reasoning here just does not make sense to me. Is his at risk status the only reason for joining the military? Coming from a younger man myself, it kind of sounds like you are trying to plan his whole life for him. Instead of letting him pick his own life path.

I'm sure there might be more to the story then you are telling, but as is, this just does not sit right with me. Especially such a big commitment like the military.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 02:16AM by TheChef.
August 06, 2008 11:23AM
Well, tell me chef, if your parents tried to plan your future, especially trying to make you join the military, would you do it? I'm guessing this is something he's leaning towards, and Mom here is just checking out all the details that all good moms would do. All the hidden details that our kids, yes kids, wouldn't be thinking of, <eg>
August 06, 2008 02:37PM
Yes mrspatwolf you have a point there. But I don't agree with choosing a career path based upon your at risk status and what benefits you might get in the end.
August 06, 2008 02:37PM
-sorry, double post-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2008 02:38PM by TheChef.
August 06, 2008 04:44PM
Why not??? Why not choose a career path based on what benefits you might get in the end? Isn't that why we all choose a career along with enjoying the journey along the way.
That's exactly a big portion of why my husband joined the military at the age of 17 and is now retired from it. Benefits after retirement/good healthcare/retirement income, these are all things I would think would draw young men and women and help hold the experience of our service members, and on top of that the opportunity to serve your country!
I thank God everyday that we had the opportunity to serve our country and do all our traveling at a young age before this next journey in our life along w/ HD. Now, we do have health coverage and a retirement.
Rowan, I don't think there's even a moral question about it. Serve and enjoy the benefits!!!
August 07, 2008 02:29PM
I don't see a problem with selecting a career path based on risk.

If you are a woman and all your ansestors had breast cancer, I don't think it would be a good idea to work in a chemical factory.

If one has a sensitivity to sunlight, it might not be a good idea to be a welder.

The Military is a great career, has lots of benifits, etc. Stay in shape, see the world, meet new people, kill them, etc.

If you believe you have the risk of developing some type of cancer, blindness, blood disorder, etc, it only makes sense to stack the cards in your favor.
August 07, 2008 05:36PM
It's one thing to avoid a career path, it's another to choose one and only one. Just like any field, the military you have to have some draw to it in the first place. If he doesn't and just goes in because it's a "wise" choice.. he will be out in four years with nothing under his belt. That makes him at risk and behind further. Now you have a 23 yr old who is happy to find a $10 an hour job.
August 07, 2008 11:45PM
If he joins the military and chooses a good career path that translates to a civilian career, he will lose nothing after 4 years. Go for it.

Ten hut!!!!!!!!! FOR---WARD harch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 08, 2008 11:26AM
mrs pat, thanks for taking up for me!! you know us moms!! chef, as mrs pat said, i am just trying to find out several options, so that when he and i talk about things, plans, future (hd or not), i have a little bit of knowledge and am able to give him insight.

he is just not that much into academics, has no idea what he wants to do when he "grows up." i know he is not completely against military (i'm not completely for it either!! by no means) but if this would be the best thing for him, i don't want to be closed minded either.

it will be HIS decision, i will just lead him to the water (several different watering holes in fact) and which ever one he chooses to drink from, i will be supportive.....i would just like to have a little input into which watering holes he seriously considers.

eric...dave....i am hoping at the end of these 4 years of high school he will have some kind of career path in mind...if not maybe if he is able to join the military, somehow through them he will be able to find a career path.

if not, i see him in a mill, working 2nd shift, kind of depressing. best case scenerio....a few classes at a jr college. it worked for me, but i "accidentally" fell into my job, and i just don't know if he will be that lucky.
August 08, 2008 12:44PM
Rowan,

I have two children. One knew from age 14 that a doctor was the way to go. And now we have a doctor.

The other is (was) not a great student but loved horses and that is all she loved. I suggested an agricultural school with a horse program. In second year, an agricultural economics course was the highlight. Then after that it was full steam ahead in commodity economics and then a goverment job. Who would have thought!

You are right, these are difficult suggestions and sometimes all they need is some prodding and suggestions about options to consider.

CP
August 08, 2008 03:12PM
Concerned partner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You are right, these are difficult suggestions and
> sometimes all they need is some prodding and
> suggestions about options to consider.
>
> CP

Well put, that is the point I was trying to get to but couldn't put to words.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login