Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

13 is HD positive on House

Posted by dustyblues 
13 is HD positive on House
May 19, 2008 09:23PM
I have just finished watching the most powerful House in which they equalled St Elsewhere's in the gap betwewen heaven and earth.Amber died, 13 froze and House told her to deal with the HD so she took her own blood and tested it. I watched to see the blood test results and they did not use a CAG count so those of us in the know will still have to wait. Does HD positive means she goes off on disability or devotes herself and House to finding a cureThat is a challenge. On the other hand she might gets fired for having a disailibity and get her job back under the equal rights law especially after GINA So many story lines are possible. Media like this is wonderful for all of us in the HD community. I have also heard that the house company is providing money to a good cause in the medical research community so .
Hurray for 13, the ultimate survivor.
Dusty
Re: 13 is HD positive on House
May 19, 2008 09:35PM
I've always enjoyed the House series but haven't been able to watch it this year. However, I did happen to catch this one and was intrigued by how they injected the emotions of living "at risk" into the main story line. But I was a little disappointed by the truncated experience of the positive diagnosis at the last few seconds of the show.

I also noted there was no genetic counseling involved. Whistling smiley

Steve I
Coffee and computer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 09:35PM by stevei.
May 19, 2008 09:59PM
Did you get to see the shows early on house, I did. They did show how scared she was to test for HD. The character stated early in the season her Mother died early and in her final years lived in a nursing home. I cried mainly because my last week in education is this week.
Jordan
May 19, 2008 10:05PM
Also it just amazing that HD is any show... But there is a question of if House will air next season..I am a big house fan, mean character house...maybe he is HD poitive.....just a joke. I am going to email Fox and thank them for the subject at least written in script
May 20, 2008 02:10PM
I've never seen the show. That is very strange and unique that they have chosen HD as a topic. It makes me think someone close to the show has some experience with HD.

It is wonderful that they are participating in medical research also!! oh we need so much more of that!!
May 20, 2008 07:41PM
I did see the show where House tested her blood without her knowing. Someone on here mentioned that there was a previous show with HD mentioned as well. Makes me wonder why there have been two shows on it.
May 21, 2008 05:00AM
There is an episode called "You don't want to know" where house finds out her mother died of a neurologic disease and 13 tells him that it was Huntington's. He tests her without her knowledge but later on she refuses to know the results.

"
Thirteen drops her files, and seems very upset about it. House privately asks her why it bothered her so. He suspects she's hiding a medical condition from him, but she denies it. House later notices that Thirteen's hand is shaking, and she seems concerned about that as well. Later, House tells Thirteen that he saw a picture of her mother in her wallet. In the picture, her mother looked young, and House deduces that Thirteen didn't update the picture because her mother is dead. House Googled the obituary and learned that her mother died "after a long illness," and asks Thirteen if it was Parkinson's disease. Thirteen says that it was Huntington's chorea, meaning that she has a 50% chance of also carrying the mutation that leads to the disease, which is what caused her to become upset when she dropped her files and when her hand shook. House says that the reason her hand shook is that he switched her decaf coffee with caffeinated to see her reactions. That's part of why Thirteen later drugged House, as mentioned above.
Thirteen refuses to be tested for Huntington's, because she says that not knowing her fate with regards to the Huntington's encourages her to live life to its fullest. This makes little sense to House, and when Thirteen leaves a bottle of water behind, House has her saliva from the bottle tested for the mutation. House later gives Thirteen an envelope with the results, but she refuses to open it and leaves the room after she lectured him about the importance of being ignorant to her possible illness. House appears to be persuaded by her, something the magician failed to do when he argued that not knowing the magic is part of the wonder. In the end, House tosses the unopened envelope into the trash.
"

You can read all about the episode in wikipedia:
[en.wikipedia.org]

This episode aired when I found out my mother had HD.

Deep
May 21, 2008 05:20AM
Thanks, that explains how she was able to get her test results in time for the closing few seconds of the show. She opened an envelope that that the test results. The envelope must be from the earlier episode.

Steve I
May 21, 2008 06:23AM
No,

" In the end, House tosses the unopened envelope into the trash. "

It's a new test....
May 21, 2008 06:17PM
Then the only rational conclusion is that she must have taken them out of the trash while he wasn't looking. Whistling smiley
TEO
May 21, 2008 10:00PM
Hello Everyone,

We watch "House" frequently in our home and enjoy the show for its premise and the characters. We see the show as entertainment loosley based on current medical practice.

We are excited in our home that HD has reached such a large audience and look forward to further development of the HD story on "House".

In our watching the final eposide of the season, it looked like "13" drew her own blood and shortly thereafter received a printout of a "pos" HD test amidst other "neg" tests.

Thanks,

Tim
May 21, 2008 10:01PM
Good reasoning, Steve, haha!
May 22, 2008 10:53PM
tim is right. She drew hee own blood and spun the test herself...she's a resident after all.
dusty
May 26, 2008 05:38PM
sometimes you do not know how much time has passed between scenes. You would have to assume that maybe a couple of weeks had passed between her drawing the blood and the results. Other times on the show I noticed a confusion on suggested elapsed time between scenes. They want you to make that inference I assume.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login