Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Husband Starting to Yell At Me

Posted by Debbie 
Re: Husband Starting to Yell At Me
May 11, 2008 02:35AM
Hi all,

My husband is already on Zyprexa, been on them for many years so now they are giving him Epilim. This is a mood stabiliser, when I asked about Seroquel they told me it is the same as Zyprexa so the Epilim is a better alternative.

So we will see how he goes on this. He will be in hospital for 2 weeks and maybe 3 so it will give him time to get used to the drugs.

Thanks again

Debbie
May 11, 2008 10:42PM
Hey Debbie...I know theres lots of differences in meds etc between people... but i just wanted to say that Mum was on zyprexa and it didnt work for her...mainly because it made her obsessed with food because it increased her appetite...but once they changed that to the seroquel thing improved so much. She was alot less aggressive and stopped lashing out at everyone. So i guess im just thinking they must be slighty different in effect for that change to occur in her.
She is on epilim as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2008 10:42PM by Michelle.
May 12, 2008 05:17PM
Debbie:

With Gene, we were able to manipulate his medications to keep his anger somewhat under control for short periods of time. Unfortunately, we would adjust his meds, he would be okay for a couple months and then he would yell, push, shove, etc. We have tried many, many different medications over the years.

Listen to your gut instincts. If you have an inkling of being in an unsafe situation, make a change. Like you, I wanted Gene to stay at home as long as possible. We had caregivers for over 2 years but his anger and agression was still directed at me. I had to sleep in other rooms and, when I was at home, I had to be on the look out for his outbursts or physical aggression. I kept hoping that the medication would control it longer and that we would find the right combination that would keep his anger under control for good. For us, this was a pipe dream and, as I have said previously, I almost waited too long; he ultimately tried to kill me. Don't wait until it is too late.

Vickie
May 15, 2008 10:00PM
My husband has HD diagnosed 2 years ago and is on SS. He has shown signs of HD for 10 years.verbably abusive not all the time but enough of the time and you want to ignore it but its so hardso i yell back but its like fighting with the wall. Im never ever right its so frustrating just like Marsha was saying its amazing what she was saying i thought she was writing about my husband.My husband wont take any medicine one time he took oh i forget the name of the meds but it made his stomach sick so now he wont take anything becaus he reads the side effects. he needs meds for his mood swings and i mean MOOD swings but he wont.
Debbie enjoy your time and try and do something for yourself i enjoy walking it helps your mind to relax well that how i feel
May 15, 2008 11:54PM
Well I saw him today when he came to the hospice to visit Bailey before we came home and I must say he looked very relaxed and well. He said the Neuro is concerned about his stress levels and the Epilim should help him there. He is also seeing a psychiatrist to talk about the stress. He just seemed much happier than I've seen him in a long time, it could also be because Bailey gave hime the biggest hug when he arrived, it was a surprise as we didn't tell Bailey his Dad was coming to see him.

Now Bailey is home until Saturday week and Anthony should be coming home next Thursday. We shall just have to wait and see.

Debbie
Anonymous User
May 16, 2008 01:04AM
My fingers will be crossed for you, Debbie!
May 26, 2008 07:50AM
Debbie, sorry I am late replying to your post. My thoughts are with you and I hope things are running smoother for you.
Take care,
Trish
May 26, 2008 05:29PM
Resperedal helped my husband alot. The mood swings were the first part to start with him. It was years before we knew he had HD. When the dr. put him on this med. he changed almost immediately. He is also on amitryptalene and klonopin. He sleeps alot, but it easier to deal with his mood swings and the little chorea he had went mostly away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login