Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Medicaid

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Medicaid
May 04, 2008 11:18AM
Last I checked, I didn't qualify for Medicaid, due to a few puny little assets.

But by my family's estimation, my mother's assets are quickly running out, so that we'll be forced to address the Medicaid issue rather soon.

It seems like we so recently had to weather her transferral from Assisted Living to a Nursing Home. She never truly accepted either move.

Now, it appears that she'll have to move once again, to a much less pleasant facility.

Her present nursing home does not take Medicaid recipients, they tell me. My step-dad did all of the research into other NHs in the area, prior to moving her to this one - and he was so unimpressed with the ones who accepted Medicaid, that he jokingly (I hope!) suggested that he might just buy a tent!

My mother is now wheelchair-bound (except when she can be helped in and out of it). My stepdad is only 5'4" - and not very strong due to some serious illnesses of his own (he's 90).

My mom has suffered from a "mini-stroke", which forced her to eat with her left hand (tho' she's right-handed).

My stepdad has handled all of this up to this point. Him, and my family in the immediate area. I haven't had any problem with the job they've done.

But with all due respect to all involved - my stepdad has Alzheimer's. My sister has HD.

I've repeatedly requested of both of them that they provide me with a phone number where I can contact Mom - and have failed to get that.

I'm very concerned.

My mom has more severe AZ - but still recognizes me, and clings to me when I visit. Due to my distance (about an hour away) - I'm unable to visit her as often as other family members. But when I do visit her, she immediately recognizes me by name. She remembers that my hands are "always warm" (her words). And she clings onto those hands for as long as she can.

At the risk of being seen as "maudlin" - I love my mother deeply. She has been a tower of strength - raising 3 children alone.

She got virtually zip child-support from my father. She DID get a small grocery store that my father had started in a government-surplus quonset hut. Very small. No windows. Hideous paint job.

She built it up. Nothing big. About the size of a 7-11 store.

She sold it long ago. Then she had to sell her house.

Now the proceeds of all she worked for have nigh disappeared. As a high-school dropout, she had accomplished more than any woman in her era might be expected to achieve.

It was admirable. Still, it doesn't last very long in today's world. Especially with a husband to support.

If any of you have any experience with (1) applying for Medicaid, and/or (2) seeking nursing homes which accept Medicaid - I'd be very appreciative.
Re: Medicaid
May 04, 2008 03:51PM
JL - This may be on the wrong thread but I thought I would pass on the only information I have on Oregon (Other than it being a beautiful state)- My X-husband was being taken care of at a facility in Portland through the Multnomah County Aging and Disability Services. Is this any help to you or your family?
May 04, 2008 04:57PM
JL- I'm surprised there are no good medicaid homes out there. Back east virtually every home accepts medicaid. Usually when assets run out,the switch onto medicaid payments is pretty seamless. Perhaps they do accept it, but did not tell your stepfather because they knew she would be selfpay. They do prefer self pay, but I thought they were required to take medicaid when the money ran out. Maybe I'm wrong. Also, if your mother has a stay in the hospital, MediCARE will then pay for 180 days in a nursing home. That would buy time.
May 04, 2008 05:49PM
I'd verify that issue with an elder care atty. If I am not mistaken, here in VA the attorney said that if you are in a NH and you then qualify for Medicaid, you cannot be booted out.
Anonymous User
May 04, 2008 09:56PM
Edina: We're not talking about Portland. My mom and family nearest her are afraid of Portland. That's why I haven't suggested that she be moved here. She would not feel comfortable.

Howard: I thought it would be a seamless transition, as well. I thought that I had been assured that she would be able to stay at the same facility, once Medicaid had taken over. Turns out that's not the case.

Once I found that out, I called the facility to make sure. They politely assured me that they do not accept Medicaid recipients. AT ALL.

My stepdad swears that the only NHs that accept Medicaid are really bad. And this isn't a man who's used to a life of luxury! Believe me!!!

Again - this is not in Portland, this is in Longview, WA.

Dave: You make an important point about an elder care attorney. I'm not sure how laws compare between WA and VA - but it certainly bears checking out. I'll try to find such an attorney who's licensed in both OR and WA. Since Portland is right on the border, a number of attorneys are. Thanks.
May 06, 2008 10:04AM
Lots of Nursing homes accept medicade patients JL. You can call your ombudsman's office and research on places internet sites like this:

[www.aplaceformom.com]
The other way is to get out the phone book and start dialing. Call one, and if they cannot help, ask for more referals. I moved my wife through 5 total homes.

The hospial has case managers that can help. They call them discharge planners. Call and ask for them and they can help you too. They place people all the time, that's their job.

The process is pretty simple. The nursing home will handle the paperwork, you don't have to, and I don't know if you can represent her without a POA.

The NH makes an evaluation of her condition. This is forwarded to the local DHS. The DHS has the patient or responsible party come in, the NH arranges the date. At that time, they look for total assets of the PERSON of $2000 max.

DHS rules vary slightly between states. Some states separate the couple's income and assets so that the spouse doesn't lose his/her house. Then your mother would be expected to pay for her care until she had less than $2000. Your father can hold all of his personal assets and have MORE than one checking account. However, her assets must be funnelled through one.
Anonymous User
May 06, 2008 11:33AM
Thanks, Fred. But that brings up a few more questions/comments.

Not being familiar with the role of an ombudsman, I googled it. I understand that it might be either an elected or appointed official. But at what level (State or Federal)? And how do I find out who mine might be?

She's not in a hospital - and the nursing home she's in directed me to a list of 5 nursing homes in Cowlitz Co. One is in Woodland - and if Woodland is in Cowlitz Co - it must be on the far margins.

Nobody was able to tell me which of them may (or may not) be willing to take Medicaid recipients.

As you suggest, I'll have to call around. At least I have their names and phone numbers, now.

Part of my diffulty, Fred - is that I DO NOT have a POA - and am unlikely to get one without some considerable hoop-jumping.

Her husband currently holds those strings, and is not likely to give them up without a fight (such as having him declared legally incompetent). He's extremely touchy about his competence to handle her affairs. To the extent that he has been rather evasive to her very own children, and other family members who have a need to know all of this stuff.

I once asked Mom whether she would mind my asking her doctor for her medical information - and she replied without hesitation that of course it was OK with her. I kick myself now for not having provided the required papers and having her sign them, right then.

Now she's far less cognizant - and of course, there's the helpless right hand.

She loves and trusts me. Even understands me, a fraction of the time! Now that I'm free to make the trip out there mid-week, I hope to sit down with her and see if maybe she'll sign the required form(s) - which I will previously acquire and bring with me.

And even with all that - I'm unsure as to whether she can still SIGN anything! She has been forced to eat with her left hand - and that's obviously a major challenge. Thank god the NH has "adult bibs"!
May 06, 2008 01:00PM
"Nobody was able to tell me which of them may (or may not) be willing to take Medicaid recipients"

??? Really. Call the local hospital in the area and talk to "discharge planners" and tell them of your situation.

Second, if the husband his holding the POA, you have no rights. Simple as that. He has the legal rights. And if you try and take it, you will have to pay for it, and likely you would lose.

As for Ombudsmen:

[www.ltcombudsman.org]
Anonymous User
May 06, 2008 04:46PM
Fred, I'm unsure as to why a hospital "discharge planner" would assist in this. She is not being discharged from a hospital.

You voiced my fear as to the POA situation. I realize that I have no legal "rights", without that. Of course, I would have to pay for the legal procedings to gain those rights. But I don't necessarilly agree that I will likely lose. My stepdad has Alzheimer's, as well as my mother.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if subjected to the same mental competency tests, I would run circles around him.

But I prefer not to do that. It would be very upsetting.

But here's the deal. My mom seriously needs someone who can make these decisions for her. My stepdad is approaching incompetence. in that regard.

My sister is more symptomatic (with HD) than I am.

And my brother lives in Japan.

Given my diagnosis - I certainly wouldn't presume to take on such responsibilities, if the situation were different.

But what the heck am I to do, if the stepdad continues to leave mom's children "out of the loop" - on such important decisions?

For all we know, she could soon be reduced to living out of the dreaded "grocery cart".

Would you suggest that her children should just lie down for this?

Let me make it perfectly clear that this is not about assets and inheritance.

She's almost out (if not already) of assets - and we've all long since accepted that there will be no inheritance.

We're all OK with that. This is all about her CARE, once she's bounced out of this NH.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2008 04:49PM by JL.
Anonymous User
May 06, 2008 04:49PM
deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2008 04:51PM by JL.
May 07, 2008 09:18AM
One thing, is that they cannot just "bounce" her out. They have some obligation to move her.

There is no question they have options, they are just telling you the options that are in THEIR best interest.

A "discharge" planner can direct you to a NH that will take her. One senerio is that the NH transfer her to a hospital, and the discharge planner would deal with the placement.

It shouldn't be rocket science.
Anonymous User
May 07, 2008 12:02PM
That's welcome information - but what prevents them from 'bouncing' her out of the nursing home? state law? Federal law?

I understand your scenario of having her transfered to a hospital, and then going from there - but on what basis would the NH transfer her to a hospital?

She and my stepdad belong to a "managed care plan". Kaiser. I used to belong to Kaiser. I found them so obstructive that I finally gave up in disgust, and got some REAL health insurance!

There's also the issue of subjecting her to yet another move. Mom is upset by moves. I can't imagine subjecting her to a HOSPITAL (so scary and impersonal) as a "way-station" from the nursing home to god-knows-what.
May 08, 2008 08:27AM
The Ombudsman can help you with the specifics in your area.

Here's and example of the rights of patients and the rights of the healthcare providers:

[www.dads.state.tx.us]

I know your experience, one NH sat my wife at the ER and told me to come and get her. They told them they wouldn't take her back. At that point I had her taken to another hospital and transfered her from there.

Frankly JL, there isn't a lot of options, and the ones you have aren't exciting.
Anonymous User
May 09, 2008 01:40AM
Frankly, Fred - I consider ALL options "exciting".

And worth exploration.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login