Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Dee / blueberries

Posted by db 
db
Dee / blueberries
March 18, 2008 09:20AM
Coffee and computerDee I didn't want to intrude on the subject on your other post ; but I thought of a hint for your kids . Morning shakes for breakfast or between meal snacks ; syrup for pancakes ; rice krispie squares mix the juice in with the marshmallow , after it has cooled a little ; mud hens and blueberry juice .... Frozen concentrate in the grocery store has the same nutrients . Blueberry lemonade . A little blueberry in their cereal milk . And I think there are now blueberry vitamin chews . Maybe some others might have some ideas for kids . I take it they don't like the taste of blueberries ? My best.Tipping my hat to you db
Re: Dee / blueberries
March 18, 2008 01:13PM
db

Thanks! My son is 6 and daughter is 19 mos. My son is a very picky eater so it would be difficult to get him to eat the blueberries even if I put it in cereal. I am going to look into the blueberry vitamin chews though. What are mud hens? I could certainly do the blueberry pancakes. I'm not sure if they would go for them mixed in the rice krispies but I can certainly give it a try.

Thanks so much!

Dee
March 18, 2008 02:02PM
How about covering them in chocolate? A little dark is good for them...you could drizzle them with milk or white too.
db
March 18, 2008 07:21PM
eye rolling smileyMud Hens have so many names ; you know chocolate , oatmeal ,coconut flakes , vanilla . Do some people call them macaroons ? Dear knows where I heard the name " Mud Hens " . winking smileydb
March 23, 2008 04:29AM
LOL I never heard of "Mud Hens" either.....found a couple of recipes [below]. The first one is the same one several places posted [must be a thick batter with no liquids except eggs] the second one, a cake, sounds better to me ;-) Also here are a couple of links for eecipes using Blueberries

Happy Easter!
Jean

Blueberry Recipes
[www.blueberries.com] the kids might like the drinks/smoothies on this one!
[www.pastrywiz.com]
[allrecipes.com]\

Mud Hens Cookies

2 cups Bisquick mix
4 Eggs, beaten well
1 Box, light brown sugar
2 cups Pecans, chopped
Mix all ingredients together and grease and flour glass pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Mud Hens Cake
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, 2 of them separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup brown sugar

Cream butter and sugar, add three egg yolks and one white and beat until smooth. Add vanilla. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt and beat in butter mixture until blended. Pour into 9- by 14-inch pan and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Beat last two egg whites and gradually add brown sugar. When stiff, spread over batter. Bake at 325?F for 30 to 35 minutes. Cut into squares while hot.
db
March 24, 2008 01:02PM
Those " Mud Hens " all sound good , but I must have some how got Mud Hens mixed up with that sticky , gooey mess of chocolate , coconut , oatmeal, vanilla and plop them on a cookie tray barely bake them , then eat'em . I'm turning on the stove as we speak smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley
March 24, 2008 03:57PM
Sounds delicious Mmmmm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login