Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Question for Will or anyone who can help?

Posted by Scottmi 
Question for Will or anyone who can help?
March 17, 2008 01:46PM
Will: I addressed this post mainly to you since I know you?ve got a history with the military but it?s really for anyone who has any insight into how we should proceed.

I am going around in circles trying to figure all this insurance stuff out. I?ve been researching STD, LTD, and LTC insurance plans. I?ve really just been trying to focus on what I need to know before we speak to anyone but I think I?ve hit a huge roadblock. My husband is active duty military and we?ve recently learned he has a family history of HD. The problem we face is that the military doesn?t consider genetic illnesses as service connected. He?s starting to have the movements but so far he hasn?t had many other problems. He?s been able to keep his superiors ?at bay? and I think they?ve just kind of looked out for him since they aren?t sure what?s going on with him. I?ve gone to various sites which provide STD & LTD for federal employees but they DON?T cover active duty military. In fact, almost all the sites I?ve gone to don?t cover active duty military for STD & LTD. Is this because they think the VA will handle all their issues or is it they don?t want to have to deal with Veteran?s coming home from war that might have long lasting illnesses? Whatever the reason, I need information from anyone who knows of an insurance company that provides STD & LTD for active duty military. I think we can go through John Hancock for LTC insurance so hopefully we won?t have any problems with that. My big concern is that he won?t get any benefits as a veteran and we won?t be able to acquire insurance on our own since he?s military. Is there any help for us?

This whole thing is so very stressful and we have two small children. We are a young couple (early 30?s) and I?d like to get all this insurance stuff behind me so I don?t have to worry about how the bills will be paid if things don?t go the way I dream.

I appreciate responses from anyone that can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Dee
Re: Question for Will or anyone who can help?
March 17, 2008 03:43PM
Dee,

I'm not sure why companies don't offer disability to active duty folks. Maybe they don't want to get involved in something that has a "war time exclusion". I checked USAA, the best insurance company for anyone in the military, and they don't offer disability.

I prowled around some other companies looking for a disability exclusion. Try MetLife. They have a range of disability plans and I didn't see anything excluding the military.

I remember your situation. He's Navy, if I recall, and there was something about a 6 year time period. Is he taking any supplements that might keep his symptoms at bay?

Will
March 18, 2008 07:06AM
Thanks Will! I called Metlife yesterday and I?m waiting to hear back from them today. I pray they will tell me they cover military members. My husband has almost six years of service and I don?t think the military covers genetic illnesses until they?ve completed 8 years of service. Even after 8 years, I?m not certain if they?ll cover him (I?m sure it will be a big fight but hopefully they?ll provide some benefits). My husband is in relatively great health (aside from the movements). He works out tons and I believe that helps tremendously. He was doing the creatine for a while last year but he doesn?t take all of this as seriously as I do. He?s currently taking protein to build muscles but I always tell him he needs to do what has been recommended for this situation. I?m currently giving my children doses of DHA for kids and I try and give them plenty of fish. I?d like to find some sort of chewable blueberry supplement since when I try to break the capsules and put it in their juice; it is very messy and doesn?t mix well. I?m really trying to find anything that I can proactively do for them to make their lives easier as they grow up (regardless of whether they have the HD gene or not).

If things don?t pan out with Metlife, I think we?ll have to keep the military at bay when it comes to testing. His current term ends in 4 more years though!

God bless!

Dee
March 18, 2008 12:57PM
Dee,

I hope things work out with Met Life. Tell your husband I said he's being a hard headed swab jockey about supplements. That's an affectionate term used in the Marine Corps for Naval personnel. :-) There are 3 supplements that are, in my opinion, the most important. Creatine, preferably the Neotine brand, at 20 grams a day. Fish oil capsules in sufficient quantity to get 2,000 mg of EPA per day. Wild blueberry concentrate to get the equivalent of a cup of berries each day.

This isn't snake oil folk medicine. There's a lot of science and anecdotal successes behind it. Symptoms are improving. In my case, they're not appearing at age 61. Have him look at a video of me that was done a couple years ago for the Pentagon Channel. I'm convinced that my supplements have a lot to do with being able to do that kind of stuff. [www.youtube.com]

Will
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login