Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

ques

Posted by missy 
ques
December 10, 2007 10:17AM
will that tetrabenazine keep people from asking me if I'm walking like I'm drunk. What are they saying about stem cell
Re: ques
December 10, 2007 10:59AM
Tetrabenazine might help. As soon as it is available in the U.S. you can talk to the doctor about whether it would be right for you to try it. If you do so, start slow and move up with the dosage. You should also be on an antidepressant before talking TBZ because it can cause depression.

As for stem cells, we are years away from a treatment based on them. Researchers have had good results in the HD mice by using BDNF and something called Noggin to stimulate the growth of the mouse's own stem cells in the brain into becoming medium spiny neurons, the type which are damaged by HD. There needs to be a lot more work before this treatment can be safely tried in human beings though. I believe that the importance of the stem cell research is help in recovery once researchers are able to safely and effectively turn off the HD gene.

I am so sorry I overlooked your earlier question!
MRO
December 10, 2007 11:37AM
Marsha do you know the time frame from committee approval to FDA approval, and once approved how fast on the market?
December 10, 2007 05:55PM
Marsha,
Am I wrong to ask why they can't try these type of treatments on people like my MIL. She is a vegetable (sorry everyone) and has no chance of recovery. What would something like this do for someone like her if it worked? Could she recover?
MRO
December 11, 2007 09:06PM
Sally there was a bill introduced called the Access Act that would have given terminal patients access to drugs in phase three studies. It is dead in the water, not sure what can be done to get it revived. Does anyone else?

But also the drug is available by mail in canada.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login