Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Research at McMaster University Medical Centre

Posted by bonnix 
Research at McMaster University Medical Centre
December 01, 2007 04:45AM
There is interesting information on research that is being done at McMaster University Medical Centre in Hamilton, Ontario

Go to dailynews.mcmaster.ca

I found it interesting and encouraging which is what all HD patients need.

Bonnie
Re: Research at McMaster University Medical Centre
December 01, 2007 04:01PM
Bonnie-
I tried to go to the website you mentioned but was unable to.
I went to www.dailynews.mcmaster.ca and also went to Google to see if I
could pull it up this way a but was unable to.
Do you have any other suggestions?
Thank you.

Sharon
December 01, 2007 11:15PM
Well i was able to find a link for you, but i wasnt able to see any research papers that you might be talking about. Can you tell us which article it is and where it is?

[dailynews.mcmaster.ca]
December 01, 2007 11:59PM
-This came up a while ago. I go to the neuro clinic at McMaster. I cannot contact my neuro there unless I have an appointment. In several emergency situations he has not been available by phone to ER doctors, and he never writes progress notes to my GP.He is a nice man, but he delayed a diagnosis of HD probable for a year. He works out well for me because I probably know more about HD than he does but he studies tardive dystonia as a side effect of SSRI's, and he in interested in the fact that
i play the piano and wrote a prescription for me to play my piano for 2 hours a day. I'm currently managing one but I've been knitting and knitting and need to roar aound after all the sitting.

We have someone in our support group who had a family doctor at McMAster and the family was told there was nothing to be done. I know two more families who have been accosted with this lack of imagination.

McMaster is so big that they are careless. They lost my best friends son when he was there for another barium thing...he has krones...The speech pathologist who did my videofluroscopy was very nice,I had to wait a year to get an appointment.
HD is an uknown disease at McMAster. I've been encouraging them to think about a centre of excellence especially as they are teaching all those med students. and I have no psychatirc care except for a psychairc nurse at community health mental clinic.

So it is exciting that McMAster is doing HD research, but they are not doing Cohort or any of the other important research.

I showed my letter from the Premier about the special diet allowance and he said "good for you for writing. I said to him "If all you lazy doctors were writing the government about the special diet instead of the victim patients who lost it, it would go much further along a positive tract.

McMaster is getting a failing grade right now . If you can get there, Dr. Jog at UWO is more on the ball which means they have a team already with referrals to everyone etc.
thoughtfully
Dusty
smoking smileygreen tea smiley
December 02, 2007 09:46AM
Thank you Barb.
I did navigate to the website but thought I wasn't at the correct one
as I couldn't see anything in regard to HD.
Sometimes you need to go on the day the news is posted as it can change
daily in some sites. Maybe that is the case here and the link for the
particular day may have had the news on.
Thanks though.
December 02, 2007 11:17AM
I am with Dusty, as far as neurologists. London is wonderful!
Although we do not see Dr Jog, but have met him, we see as I said before Dr Hyson, who deals with Huntingtons...ONLY! It is his passion, I feel we could not be in better hands!

I can call him any day of the week, and he always calls me back, to discuss any concerns I have with Adrian, he changes meds, adds meds, whatever is needed, over the phone.

Although I have been warned it may not always be this great, as he is new, and as people find out about him, his number of patients will increase. But for the time being, I am using it for all it is worth!
Adrian deserves it!

I just wanted to give you my input, I believe in "paying it forward".
London, is worth the drive! We only go every 2 months, and make a day of it, shopping, lunch...etc. It is a little date for us.

Take care!
Leesa smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login