Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

How many phd's take Memantine that read this forum

Posted by BM 
BM
How many phd's take Memantine that read this forum
October 30, 2007 08:03PM
I was wondering what the results are from taking Memantine.I was really inspired by Barb and I started taking it about 6 months ago. I think it is helping me but I'm not certain of the dosage. Barb said she took 10mg so thats what I have been taking. I weigh 110 lbs so I don't know whether to increase the dosage. I don't have a neurologist.
Re: How many phd's take Memantine that read this forum
October 31, 2007 08:57AM
Hi, I also take memantine, 10mg at night. It has helped me feel more like my old self. I'm more confident with driving. I've been writing and sold an article! I've been more social and even had a Halloween party Monday. Of course I only invited two people (and four dogs, haha), but it was a party. I think that memantine along with my therapy each week and the anti-depressants I take have all improved my life this past year. I hope you notice something soon. I noticed the change all at once about 2 months after starting it, but since then the startling change has smoothed out and I've forgotten, I guess, how it was before, so I just feel more normal, not so "Wow!" anymore.
November 02, 2007 02:15AM
Alice, that is wonderful to hear how you're doing! I had been wondering how the memantine was working for you, i'm happy for you!

BM, let's see, i'm 5'1", and i'm way over the 110 lb limit lol, and i only take 10mg too. My doc said that he has found that with memantine, more is not better. He says the allowable dose of 20mg usually has side effects, and people do much better at 10mg. I tried cutting back to 5mg during the summer, just to see if that would be enough, and in only 3 weeks i was feeling quite confused again, very distinct difference, so i took it right back up to 10mg again, and am happy with that dose. I just wrote a note on nancy's thread with a bit more how i'm doing on the memantine if you'd like to jump over there...smile

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2007 02:17AM by Barb.
November 02, 2007 04:55PM
My husband takes 10mg and he weighs over 200lbs. He is only early stages and doesn't see much of a difference.
db
November 03, 2007 09:41AM
Sally it may slow the progression of HD , even if you don't see any immediate results . By the BY ; are you battened down ? I am a little nervous of those 3 very old , very large trees , at our place . All my best. db
November 03, 2007 10:12AM
so Memantine slows progression? is this something that phd's should be taking even with no symptoms?
db
November 03, 2007 11:31AM
I do not believe they will give it to anyone not showing symptoms . I know with AD , what i read you had to be moderate to severe before they will give memantine to you . Now that was just in one article , so maybe there are other thoughts by other professionals . Like so many drugs ; they know some of how and why it works , but not everything about how it works . db
BM
November 03, 2007 08:37PM
I don't think a phd needs to have any symptoms to take Mementine. It sounds so promising to take Creatine with it. If it stops the progression I think all phd's should take it. I don't think I show symptoms anymore.

THAT IS GREAT !!!
November 04, 2007 12:16PM
db, we were well prepared for the storm. Doing hurricane Juan, we were living in Halifax so it was easy this time. We didn't even lose our power!
db
November 04, 2007 12:50PM
Sally the trees hung on . A few branches came down . They are extremely old trees so any big storm we lose branches . We did not lose power neither ; the lights flickered . What is kind of wild is just across the street they lost power . Up on the mountain they lost power . We were surrounded by homes that lost power but not us hot smiley I drive my family and friends to distraction when it comes to storms ; i am always phoning them up to remind them to fill the tub , have a full tank of gas , Bottles of water , all your meds for a week . I warned Mom and Dad before Juan . They thought I had truly lost it ; but at 12 pm my sister phoned and said , We don't want to hear any I told you so's from you . We were laughing . Anyways I am glad your alright , and that the storm was not too , too bad . Until the next big storm I'll put the batteries and radio , away smiling bouncing smiley db
November 04, 2007 01:41PM
Barb and Alice, I am very happy that memantine is working for you. This is very interesting, do you buy it from the pharmacy with or without a prescription ? is it very expensive? does it have side-effects?

thank you all,
sylvia
November 04, 2007 03:55PM
Sylvia, it is a doctor's prescription bought at the pharmacy. My general dr prescribed it eagerly because she has had many Alzheimers patients who did well on it, and she said it is a safe drug with not too many side effects. Personally I didn't have any side effects, but was gradually worked up to full dose. I imagine it is expensive but I get it without cost because of my low income. Good luck.
November 05, 2007 01:29AM
thankyou for your reply, sylvia
November 05, 2007 01:44AM
Sylvia, i have been receiving dr samples for the last year, but he is now out of samples. Here in BC, disability covers most prescriptions, but not memantine. And we don't have another low income med coverage here like Alice has. I asked my pharmacist, and it will be about $80.00/month for the 10mg dose. I think the price in the US is similar, but i'm not sure. So, i guess that's not as high as some prescriptions can be. Hope this helps.
db
November 05, 2007 10:21AM
Barb could you apply for special circumstances ? db
db
November 05, 2007 12:28PM
Barb I read that drugs that are not covered , can be asked to be covered if your Doctor asks by " Special Authority " can my patient have this drug . On a case by case basis es it is considered . Have you had a chance to ask your Doctor to request this ? All my best. db
November 05, 2007 12:48PM
Yes db, some drugs work that way here, but memantine is not one of them. Someone told me some provinces have a low income drug plan for any and all drugs that are not covered by other means, but it turns out BC does not have that plan. So my husband and i are going to try phoning the drug company, to see if they might be willing to give me some free samples, just like they give them to doctors. My doctor told me he is not able to get any more free samples of the memantine, but, i don't know if he really tried or not, so we are going to try.
db
November 05, 2007 03:46PM
I hope that works for you . I applied to a drug company for a med that is very $$$ They gave me a forum I had to fill out . Asking income , expenses etc. I was Okayed for that drug , I could never have it otherwise . I hope it all works out for you . db
November 05, 2007 05:51PM
Yes, we dont have a programme like that here in BC db, some provinces do have a low income programme, but not here. So there won't be any form, just persuasion and hopefully kindness on their part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2007 05:52PM by Barb.
November 05, 2007 07:19PM
Most insurance companies won't pay for it if they know that the purpose to for HD (at least in Canada) because it is not approved yet for it (at least that is my understanding).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login