Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Heather's story

Posted by Barb 
Heather's story
October 15, 2007 12:30AM
Heather, i just read your story on the home-page. Wow, your story is wonderful, thank you so much for sharing it with us! And i'm so pleased to meet you, i'm a fellow Canadian too, welcome to the forum. You're so young, and have so much hope to share, thank you so much, your story is awesome. I'm sorry you're in the early stages of hd, i am too, only i'm much older, i have daughters your age. I wish you the very best, welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 12:31AM by Barb.
Re: Heather's story
October 15, 2007 05:30AM
Hi Heather,
Have just finished reading your story. I love the way you see HD & it's how we chose to see it too.
I can honestly say that having HD in my family has brought us closer together because it made us appreciate each other & life.
Before it, we too often took what we had for granted.
My girls were 15, 11 & 6 when their sister was diagnosed at 13, but even as children, they quickly realised that HD was life changing & they made those adjustments to become better people.They gradually stopped fighting & squabbling & became much more giving & less selfish.
I'd always wanted a different & better family life for my girls rather than the dysfunctional one I had grown up in, but I did find it a struggle to move away from the life time training I'd had & to know how to teach myself & my girls to live a better life....I tried, but Hd finally taught us how to do that & if only for that reason i'm sort of glad to have had it in my life.
You are so right. It is a horrible disease, but it can be seen as a blessing in disquise if you look for the good within the bad.
As difficult as it has been at times I feel privilaged to have had Rikki to take care of & more than privalled to have her & her sisters in my life. They have turned into some of the best adults I have known.
Some people go through life never really learning much of value & never making good enough changes for themselves & their families.
Some all too often have too much sympathy for themselves with little reason to do so.
But we, we know how precious & special life & our loved ones are, even if we had to learn it the hard way.
Your story is perfect.
October 15, 2007 09:56AM
Inspirational, Heather!
October 15, 2007 03:17PM
Echo that, truely Inspirational Heather...

Your website is very well done.

You are right in saying "Life is all about choices" because each morning we choose to wake and fight HD in whatever ways we can !!!

God Speed...

>>Lp
October 15, 2007 03:22PM
Heather your story is wonderful! I posted a link on HD Australia to your story as you are very inspiring and i think everyone can benifit from reading your journey! I know i did!
and your website is lovely...keep writing! Love Michelle

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 05:00PM by Michelle.
October 15, 2007 08:25PM
Thank you for sharing your inspiring story Heather!...You are a gift to us, Pat Good job
October 16, 2007 06:39AM
Very good article Heather. Looking forward to another.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login