Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

sleeping through 5 alarms

Posted by troopie 
sleeping through 5 alarms
September 14, 2007 09:31AM
Hi! I don't know if this is off the topic or not. I am sleeping through 5 alarms going off in the morning all different sounds and at different times. I was asleep at 1030 last night Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do so I am not getting up late everyday I am worried about my job... thanks

trudi
Re: sleeping through 5 alarms
September 14, 2007 03:28PM
Trudi, I assume you have HD? I have HD and I have this sleeping problem. I can sleep for 12+ hours at a time (sometimes 16 or 18). Not everyday, however, but I would say a few times a week. It is unpredictable. I had to tell people at work I had an illness affecting my sleep and I take sick days when I sleep like this. Sometimes go into work in late afternoon/evening to make up work time. It is hard for me to make up for all missed work time, so I do take sick time. I take Prozac and cytomel (a thyroid medicine--although my thyroid is okay according to tests). Last night went to bed right after work and slept from 6 until 12:30. Up for an hour. Back to bed and slept until about 2 this afternoon. I probably will sleep like this each work week one or two days. My mother slept a lot with her HD. So not sure if HD affects sleep some how.
September 14, 2007 06:51PM
My husband sleeps alot. He goes to sleep whenever he gets stressed (which gives him a headache). He takes a couple naps a day besides sleeping all night. He takes Amitriptyline (generic for Elavil). Because of headaches on a daily basis and mood swings he is unable to work. He's been turned down for Social Security disability. I have about 45 days left to appeal.
September 16, 2007 07:11PM
sd66,

You didn't say if you were appealing the SS decision but make sure ya do. What state are you in? And what reason did the give you for being denied? The reason you want to keep appealing is the original date you filed will stay in effect and you will be backed paid to that date and with your husband and four kids that will be a substantial amount of money. Make sure you have the best docs you can get to back up the claim. Also on appeal take as much info as you can describing soft symptoms. Good luck. It seems that the appeals more often than not will work in your favor.
September 16, 2007 10:38PM
trudi, why con't you try getting a timer for your bedroom light and radio. Have the bedroom light and radio come on about an hour before you have to get up, so the light will begin to slowly wake you before your alarm goes off. Also, do you have a snooze button on your alarm? I always set my snooze button for 20 mins before i actually have to get up. Some people just need a little bit more time to wake up slowly. Maybe some of these ideas will help. Maybe get a coffee pot with a timer on it too, so when you do have to get up, the smell of fresh coffee will help you want to get up.

Also, sleeping a lot can be a sign of depression sometimes. If you think it could be that, maybe an ssri that you take in the mornings would help make your daytime more energetic, or maybe some creatine, which helps with cellular energy. Nothing worse than feeling tired all day long, is there?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 10:40PM by Barb.
September 16, 2007 10:53PM
Another idea trudi would be to keep a caffeine pill on your bedtable, and when the first alarm goes off, get some caffeine into you, might help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2007 11:36PM by Barb.
September 17, 2007 05:42PM
Trudi,
Is your problem sleeping through the alarm (meaning that you don't hear it at all) or it the problem that you hear the alarm and don't get up? Thr first one is my husband's problem. He doesn't even hear alarms that go off, no matter how loud!
September 17, 2007 06:27PM
Trudie, I had a sleep study done. Have mild sleep apnea although I don't fit the profile. I am female and weigh 130 lbs. A year after the sleep study my new Dr asked me if I knew that I had restless leg syndrome. The other Doc had neglected to tell me that. I told her that I felt it at rest but was too embarrassed to say anything for fear that people would think I was out of my mind. It is like my legs want to get up and go and they twitch... anyway I started on klonipin(Clonazepam) and after about 2 weeks it has started helping tremendously. I would set 2 clocks and my co-worker would call me to wake me. I would have to put the phone in a glass jar with the ringer up and vibration on. Someone gave me a clock that has a rooster crowing. Talk about obnoxious!!! If not for being a hard worker I would have been fired. Had gotten to the point that I would come sraight home from work and go to sleep...wake after 12-14 hours and feel like I had not slept at all. Even had nasal surgery but did not help. It may be HD but it could be some type of sleep disorder. Or depression. It was the main reason I started taking an antidepressant. Sorry- didn't mean to rambleFish smiley
September 18, 2007 09:39AM
thank you all for your help. I am sleepng through the alarms. I am on prozac and right now not depressed. I just can not get up in the morning. I will have to put my phone in a glass jar and see if that helps any. I even went and bought different alarms but it just isn't working. I guess I will add this to my list of things to talk to my dr about. She is going to love me. thank you and if anyone else has any more suggestions I would appreciate it. Thank you again.
September 18, 2007 10:01AM
Yes, Troopie, I sleep through the alarms too. Let me know what your doctor says.

Margie
September 18, 2007 10:39AM
Troopie - my mom slept through her alarms as well. At the NH we had to disarm the alarms because she would let them ring for hours until they finally turned off or until the nurses turned them off. Please let us know what your doctor says.

Linda
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login