Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Eyes

Posted by miznjoe 
Eyes
September 12, 2007 09:07AM
I was wondering if anyone knows if HD affects the eyes?
In the past week, one of Rikki's eyes is turning out to the side.
I thought it maybe to do with the medication in the driver, but the nurses involved daily seem to think not.
It has been suggested that it is to do with the muscles, which I suppose makes sense, but it's not something I have heard of.
Does anyone here know?

Thank you
Myrna
Re: Eyes
September 12, 2007 09:15AM
PLEEEEEASE don't say it effects the eyes! I had strabisimis (eye turning)as a child, corrected by surgery, that has returned as an adult only when I'm sleepy. I'm at risk and trying hard not to symptom hunt.
September 12, 2007 12:15PM
I think it does affect eyes and vision to some extent. My wife says that objects will drift out of focus, then when she blinks, it comes back into focus. One of my wife's eyes is slightly pulled or drifts to the side, not really obvious, but still noticeable--particularly when she is just looking without directly focusing on something. As with everythinjg else, it probably does not affect all.
September 12, 2007 01:33PM
Myrna, I think none of my hd family (immediate and extended) members has had eye drifting. Bob
September 12, 2007 06:05PM
Hi Myrna
My son (cag 43; age 42; no symptoms) has been experiencing double vision in both eyes for about a month now. Has went to an opthomologist who found nothing wrong with his eyes, other than seeing 4 of something! Has follow up visit tomorrow.
Edina
September 13, 2007 12:01AM
Hi Myrna-
I haven't been on here in a long time but I found your post very interesting. My husband has hd he is 29 with a cag of 51. I don't even know how to describe his eyes other than a hard stare to a little too relaxed. When he is thinking it happens several times in one min. I have asked him about it several times and he doesn't even know he is doing it unless he looks in the mirror.
I know that it is scary to incounter.....not to mention a little stange at times, wondering is this part of hd or is it the meds.

well, take care
amber
September 13, 2007 03:02PM
I know my muscles move in my face, shoulders, neck, and back and this affects my eyes--they blink a lot. This can be really tiring and frustrating. I stopped wearing contacts and eye makeup and that helped. It is hard to focus on something continuously--like my screen when I type. After each sentence or phrase, I rest my forehead in my hand to try to give my muscles a break.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login