Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

At Risk But Considering Testing or Not

Posted by TracieT 
Re: At Risk But Considering Testing or Not
September 11, 2007 07:29PM
Fleur, yes, i am so much better now. I think what i experienced, maybe many others do too. They think they will have their family and friends go through the emotions with them, but sometimes, family and friends don't understand. It's not that they don't want to. Sometimes they are not ready yet. I am very glad that i tested, and never regretted it, i was ready to know what was wrong. I think what happened to me after was a grieving process. Some people feel and experience their grief right away. I am a person that keeps my feelings to myself most of the time, and i tend to want to take care of my family first. So maybe i also hid my feelings from them so they wouldnt get scared. I went through about 6 months of shock, then about a year of anger and fear, but, then after that, i came to a real nice place of no longer being scared, and i really value that place i am at today. I mostly got there through the good friends here. So it is a journey, but there is a good place after getting through the grief. (((hugs)))
September 13, 2007 03:42PM
Thank you Barb, for sharing what you went through. And for the hugs! It helps me understand my brother's reaction to his positive diagnosis that much better, and gives me hope that his distance now may not last forever.
It sounds like you've come out the other side, and that gives me hope too, for myself if I get a positive result.
x Fleur
September 14, 2007 08:26AM
Thank you, Fleur for your kind words. At the moment I feel really positive, just goes to show how much I must have been concerned. I think being armed with the knowledge of the positive test result I am able to do something positive about it now. I can prepare for the future - as much as anyone can. Also my family are now aware that I have tested for the gene for Hd.
I must confess another reason I decided to test, was my brother (three years younger) was going through the counselling when he died in a hit and run accident. They wouldn't let us test his blood for it... But he has two children that we all worry about. We have limited contact with his ex's. I did worry that if anything happened to me my husband wouldn't have the knowledge for the children.
I think another thing I thought about was it could be negative.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login