Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

what vitamins do i want?

Posted by skmf 
Re: what vitamins do i want?
August 12, 2007 05:29PM
How inspiring. It goes to show what can be done if we put our minds to it. Does anyone know what he is doing now? I know that aspirin helps blood flow (only low doses like half an aspirin). Often perscribed to people with heart problems (my Dad)

Just to add to the previous posts about skills that we could pool. We all have basic accounting.... shopping, bills etc
Basic computer skills, how did we find this site and post and do research?
Social skills, dealing with family, friends, kids etc
Plus the extra ones we get through life.

I am a full time mum, so i suppose you could add cooking, housework and time keeping to my list!
Before i had children i did sales and accounts. I passed my driving test in April. Hooray! I also did a course in starting up a business and a few computer courses (websites, spreadsheets etc). I did work for a health food shop when i was at college, so i understand a bit about supplements. But i am not up to date anymore!

I would be happy to 'pool' my resources.

Eric, I found putting the clocks back and putting them to bed early works very well! But obviously some do not appreciate the skills of parenting.
August 12, 2007 05:38PM
Does anbody know anything more on the vitamin C the gentleman (last post) on this is forum discussing...

[www.parkinsons.org.uk]

Sorry, it came up on a search about neurocoat.
August 12, 2007 07:15PM
Will is fine and dandy... probably he will post soon. At the top of the page you can do a search for his posts. Just type in "will" without the quotes under 'by author' and his posts will come up.
August 12, 2007 07:45PM
i looked on the neurocoat websit, and wow! i must say it was rather a shock to see them selling 'sweet n low'. i mean i came from the generation that decided that these kinds of sweetners caused cancer or something... so it just didnt seem right to see this truholose stuff on there...
dont get me wrong, i will be getting it, but should i be scared?
August 12, 2007 07:59PM
ladycachel: the form of vitamin C discussed on the Parkinson's forum, ascorbyl palmitate, probably does not perform in the cell as claimed for the simple reason that it is split in the gut into ascorbate and palmitate before absorption:
[lpi.oregonstate.edu]
August 13, 2007 05:13AM
Remig,
Thank you for finding that infomation. Quite an interesting article too!
August 13, 2007 10:27AM
I've made a couple of changes to my supplement regimen since I wrote that article a while back. I've added a couple scoops of trehalose to my morning coffee and I've doubled my creatine dose to 20mg - 10 in the morning and 10 at night. I've also switched to Avicena's Neotine. I don't take CoQ10 because I can't take everything.

I'm addicted to the daily Jumble word puzzle in the paper, and I recently bought a machine called the Brain Game from Hammacher Schlemmer. [www.hammacher.com] They're temporarily sold out, but it's worth the wait. It's a tough workout, but there are 6 levels to choose from.

I turned 61 last week, still symptom free as far as I and my wife can tell. I celebrated by running a trail race in the South and North Carolina mountains this past Saturday. It's called the Laurel Valley Ultra.The course has never been measured accurately, but it's about 35 miles in rugged terrain. This was my 11th finish of that race. I wasn't very fast - 12 hours 43 minutes, but I beat 9 out of 50 entrants. It's an unsupported race, which means purifying your drinking water out of streams and rivers and carrying your own nutrition. There's also no place to drop out, which insures a high finishing rate. It's not for the faint of heart.

Do I ever worry about having the HD gene? Nope. I'm too busy with life.

Will
August 13, 2007 12:00PM
I got the c. Q10..
August 21, 2007 09:26AM
I have been talking to my mum and i have got her to agree to take Creatine. Hooray! I wish it was the high grade one Will takes/the one in the clinical studies. But it is a start. I was looking at the dosage and it should be between 10g and 20g preferably split into two doses. I think preferably 20g. Has anyone please got any advice on this? Should she start at a lower dose and work her way up to 20g?
She has also agreed to take Trehalose. We have to get it shipped to UK and it was about $32 dollars postage for one bag plus $21.99 for Neurocoat. Far too much. They have agreed to ship us six bags and postage is about $82. All in all $214.14 for six bags. We have agreed to go halves this time! So not a bad few days work and hopefully Mum will start feeling better. She is definitely more positive.
August 21, 2007 11:32AM
Lady C,

Neotine from Avicena costs $23 per week for a 20g/day dosage, or about $1,200 per year. I think it would be better to start her off with 5g per day and gradually work up to 20g. Creatine has a long history of few side effects, but it can have some. I'd suggest that her doctor check her blood at each dosage to make sure there are no problems. I've forgotten exactly what is tested, but it's a simple one.
Go for it
Creatine does produce a laxative effect on many people. I wasn't sure I could find a smiley for that, but I did. When I moved from 10 grams to 20, the second dose in the evening also produced that at first, but it's gone away. Creatine also makes you thirsty. That's good, since it can be dehydrating. I've noticed that Neotine does not make me nearly as thirsty, probably because of the medical grade formulation.

Will
August 21, 2007 01:39PM
I love your smiley!
I would love Mum to take Neotine, but the postage to the uk is terrible. For 2 Neotine $80. For 52 Neotine (enough for one year) Neotine, as Will said the cost $1,195.48 and postage $566.52. So for one year $1762 (Or $33.88/?17.10 a week). Hmm I will think on this.
I think it is a good idea also for her to speak to her doctor and have the kidney/liver tests at each dosage level. Great plan, now i have to convince my doctor shy Mum, She used to love her last Doctor, but she left and now she has one she avoids!
August 24, 2007 12:45PM
Hi Everyone,

Long time for me since I last posted but I read at least once a week. My friend recently suggested this Superfood Rx supplement product:

[landing.superfoodsrx.com]#

but wanted to run it past everyone for suggestions before I ordered it.

Here is a list of ingredients :

[landing.superfoodsrx.com]

He has been taking it for a 8 weeks and says he has noticed a big difference in his engery levels and joint pain but he never took anything prior.

any and all suggestions would be good.

I know it has Iron in it which is not so good for PHD's or at risk but how much iron is bad ?

thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

regards,
>>Lp
August 24, 2007 03:09PM
August 24, 2007 03:55PM
lol!
August 26, 2007 08:49AM
i will be careful and thanks for the advice and research.
rgds,
>>Lp
September 06, 2007 04:55PM
I finally got the Creatine today. Not the Neotine (in Clinical studies) i wanted as shipping was too high but the Met rx one mentioned [hddrugworks.org]
I even got it on a deal in the UK. Mum has started hers taking 10g (i have mentioned splitting doses) initially and then later building up to 20g needed.
I even ordered the trehalose also mentioned on the site above and many times here on this forum. So i am really pleased. I negotiated a postage deal with [www.brooklynpremium.com]
I just brought more to reduce costs and they offered me a cheaper option!
I have been really good and got quite a few supplements - some recommended and all i have read up on online- Even green tea Marsha! I hope these will help. If not at least i will be glowing with health.
Today i also did an aerobic dvd ? I usually avoid exercise other than walking- and walked the school run. I am also trying to do more mental stuff. Things I used to do before I had children and had no time. So I am quite pleased with myself. Sorry I just had to share.
db
September 06, 2007 05:42PM
Will's smiley in context with his creatine side effects was too cute .Go for itGood one! db
September 06, 2007 08:55PM
ladycashel,

could you let us know in the next month or two, what difference if any you are experiencing, since starting this new regiment? i am buying these things for my son, and he is private and doesnt talk to me about stuff, and i dont know how they are working for him, but i would love to know if they work for you. will you do that for me?

thanks susan smiling smiley
September 07, 2007 04:08AM
Susan,
I shall let you know any differences i feel, i will even post what my Mum thinks as well if you like. Mind you i don't want to be a guideline. Some of the changes i may not notice! But i will certainly share my experiences. I will check out Creatine's laxative effect...Go for it
I am glad your son is taking the supplements, even if he is keeping how he feels to himself. Best wishes Jo
September 07, 2007 09:53AM
Will, sorry I misspoke; I have always taken choline/inositol caps (not choline alone). Several grams of Vit C and 1-2k IU of E are of paramount importance to me/my body/mind and respiratory system. I don't take CoQ10 or creatine; have tried them for short periods. I take one or two gels of fish oil, a multivitamin, and extra Vit A, B, and calcium and zinc. For the most part I limit intake of saturated fats. In the processs of home building, I was often on my knees scrubbing and scraping. My knee joints became excrutiatingly painful. A few months back I started glucosamine/chondroitin. I have no knee pain. After I post this I will go out and push a lawn mower for a couple of hours. I used to run; do mental (bridge) and physical exercise at the gym. Happy 71st.
Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login