Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New Smileys

Posted by stevei 
New Smileys
August 04, 2007 05:15PM
The new smileys have arrived. Enjoy!

Just be aware that extensive use of smileys DOES degrade the performance of the message board (at least slightly).

Just a note on Eric's .... er ... preponderance of images. Yes it is possible to insert an image that is posted on another site. This is called cross-linking.

However,

1. The thread is then dependent on that site being up
2. The performance of that thread is dependent on the cross-linked image.
3. It opens up the thread to possible virus attacks
4. Most site owners dislike cross-linking because it sucks up their Internet bandwith and they don't get any benefit from it. A few sites permit it but I'm not sure why (unless they anticipate the possibility off using number 3 above).

In other words, please don't unless you are linking to small images that are on your own personal site and you want to share them and you are either willing to edit your post to remove them when you are finished sharing it. Or you are willing to keep that image on your site FOREVER.

Ranting

Steve I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2007 05:47PM by stevei.
Re: New Smileys
August 04, 2007 05:25PM
ha ha ha!!!!!!! Your in crap Eric! lol lol lol
August 04, 2007 06:09PM
no no no

Eric happens to be using a site that permits linking to images on that site. I'm not sure of all of the rules, but it looks legit to me and I don't have a problem with it (except that I noticed that displaying the thread is noticably slower). Eric and I discussed the pros and cons of this months ago.

My earlier post was simply to warn people of the dangers associated with indiscrete use of this practice and highlight my concerns with it.

Steve I
August 04, 2007 10:53PM
Oops lol I'm sorry
August 04, 2007 11:04PM
I particularly like the group hug smiley, Group hug
the space alien, I feel so alien
and of course the 'girls rule' smiley. Girls rule (yea right)
August 04, 2007 11:07PM
Been a bad night on the homefront lol think i like this one
Enjoying a glass of wine Enjoying a glass of wine Enjoying a glass of wine Enjoying a glass of wine Enjoying a glass of wine
August 05, 2007 04:03PM
HUHUH??????????? Bumping my head against a brick wall
August 05, 2007 04:06PM
Hic! I like yours too Barb
dcb
August 05, 2007 06:12PM
Enjoying a glass of wine---Looked at them all, thought they were wonderful, and have to agree w/Barb---I like this one best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know ---go figure??????????
DCB
August 09, 2007 06:58AM
So...silly question....where do I find them?
August 09, 2007 01:33PM
Oh Sally, it's easy. When you are typing a post, go to the top left hand corner of the post box, and you will see the word smileys, click on that, and the smilies will come up. Then click on whichever smiley you like best, and it will go into your post. Good luck
August 09, 2007 02:25PM
oh steve....and most of the others on here....i wish i had a 10th of your internet know-how!!!

i hope it makes ya'll feel good because i'm sooooooo impressed!!!! with your use of "smiley's".....I'm your cheerleader
August 09, 2007 04:14PM
You can also use our smileys in other correspondence. Just right click on any of them and save it. Then use an Insert command in your regular e-mail program (or Word) to put it in.

Will
August 09, 2007 07:42PM
Tipping my hat to youFish smileyI feel so alien They are so cute!
August 12, 2007 01:42PM
Thanks! so much, Barb! These are cute! I'm your cheerleader
August 12, 2007 01:43PM
Bumping my head against a brick wall

I think this smiley suits me best most of the time!
August 12, 2007 02:15PM
lol glad you figured it out sally! It's fun isn't it. Cheers to marsha for picking out these new smileys, especially this one! lol Enjoying a glass of wine

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2007 02:41PM by Barb.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login