Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Nervous Stomach

Posted by Shar 
Nervous Stomach
July 23, 2007 07:51PM
Hi,
My husband has HD as did his father and grandmother. My husband's mother has told me both of them had nervous stomachs which can be a part
of HD. I asked her what the symptoms were but she didn't know - she just knew they had nervous stomachs which was part of their HD.

Have any of you heard of this? If so, can you inform me as to what the symptoms might be?

My husband has had a pain in the middle of his chest area for 7-8 days and has taken all kind of antiacids including pepcid and prilosec to help. They have helped a touch but mot much. The pain is probably a 2 on a scale of 1-10 he says. He is current in the hospital undergoing all kinds of tests which are coming back negative which is good (including heart attack). He thought it was a hiatal hernia but we don't know. He still is fortunate enough to eat everything we all do without doing anything special to the good. I sometimes wonder if this pain is anything to do with HD or do to eating or how the food goes down or lodges, etc. He does have occasional bouts of choking but not a terrible lot.

Anyway, if any of you have any information you would like to share on these items I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much.
Re: Nervous Stomach
July 23, 2007 09:06PM
Shar:

I'm nopt sure if this is the same...but my husband has spoken of his father having "this nervous feeling" in his stomach...I don't know the details and often I have thought that it was anxiety but maybe it was something entirely different...I will ask my MIL and see what she says..
Anonymous User
July 23, 2007 09:10PM
People can sometimes have upset stomachs when they are highly stressed.

Or when they're dehydrated.
July 24, 2007 08:07AM
I have HD and notice a couple of symptoms that seem related to it. One is that my swallowing doesn't always work well. I visualize the muscles in my throat pushing the food or pill down, but then getting mixed up and quitting for a moment and then trying again, like a chorea inside my throat???? The other thing is that once in awhile my whole stomach contracts and I briefly feel like I'm going to throw up. I don't think these symptoms are do to my food or a stomach ache or anything like that; I think they are HD inside me. JMO, though. I dont' have any idea if there is something I can do for this problem??
July 24, 2007 09:39AM
My wife would throw up while she was eating or close afterward for some time. She isn't doing it now in the late stage, but she did for some time.

I could not get an explaination why. She went through two procedures for a 'striction' in her throat that did not help.

It could have been medication, but she takes similar meds now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login