Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Funds for wheelchair

Posted by Margaret 
Funds for wheelchair
November 14, 2000 05:20PM
I am an LPN in a Nursing Home. We have a 37 year old female with Huntington's. She is on Medicaid and is in need of a wheelchair which Medicaid does not provide. Is there and type of funding available for a wheelchair for this person.
Cristy
RE: Funds for wheelchair
November 16, 2000 11:21PM
Hi Margaret and welcome!

I would love nothing better than to write you a check from HDAC for your patient's wheelchair. Unfortunately we aren't equipped to do so at this time.

Can I get some opinions here? Does anyone else think it is time that a fund be started for the specific purpose of helping Phds and HD families (directly and individually that is...wheelchair grants, conference scholarships, assistance paying for nutritional supplements not covered by insurance)?

If I see some interest we may be able to take this somewhere. Tell us what you think please!

Cristy
November 17, 2000 09:18PM
Hi Margaret,

First, I'm wondering why your patient isn't on Social Security Disability. With SSD she would eventually be eligible for Medicare which DOES cover wheelchairs and other durable medical equipment. This is a long process which she or her guardian would have to begin and would certainly not produce the expedient result you need now. But, it is worth keeping in mind for other patients and their families.

I believe there are many charitable organizations which may be able to help you with getting a wheelchair donated. Check Jean Miller's site for suggestions:
Huntington's Caregivers Web Directory
[www.geocities.com]

Also, I would suggest you start calling local charitable agencies and advocacy groups for the disabled with your question. Good Luck and thanks for caring.

Gerri

November 18, 2000 10:42PM
Thank you for your response. I think it would be great if a fund could be started to help HD patients. Unfortunately HD is a little known disease and when canvassing a neighborhood you can get response to Red Cross, Cancer , March of Dimes and the better known ones .but last year I tried to collect for Leukemia and I got $2.
I have visited with my sister who is a retired social worker and she made some suggestions as to where to begin.
November 18, 2000 10:45PM
Thank you for your suggestions. The Social Worker at our facility also wondered why she was not getting SS Disability and is checking into that.
I will also check out Jean Miller's website.
November 25, 2000 07:48AM
I found that many big church's have thrift shops. During my husbands three operations last yr. he needed a wheel chair long term. I went to a thrift store and they lent us one for as long as we needed it. Look and you will find one I'm sure in your area.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login