Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Age HD Appeared in Your Family

Posted by TracieT 
Age HD Appeared in Your Family
July 11, 2007 07:25PM
In my family, all the members that I know their HD history, all showed their symptoms around the same age, 28. Also, in all the generations that I know of in our family, HD has been passed down maternally.

I have read many articles that say the "maternal gene" pass down being more stable. Have any of you found this to be true or false? There seems to be so many differing articles about this. Thanks for your time.
Re: Age HD Appeared in Your Family
July 11, 2007 07:38PM
I believe it was 28-30 for my wife. (CAG 47) Her sister was maybe 34. The father passed the gene, and he died in his late 40's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 07:38PM by Fred.
July 11, 2007 07:46PM
My former FIL was in his 60's when diagnosed quite by accident. Nurses noticed he had swallowing difficulties when he was having his hip replaced. My ex husband tested shortly after when he was in 40's but was symptomatic probably in 30's.

My FIL was one of 8 kids, none of whom we ever heard had HD. We believe his Dad had HD but he was diagnosed with lead poisoning, he was a house painter, due to neurlogical problems and and he was killed in an accident.
JFB
July 11, 2007 08:02PM
wife's father's "accident" in his late 30's
Wife's younger sister in her early 20's
wife's older brother in his late 20's
wife in her early 50's
July 11, 2007 08:26PM
Grandmother- mid sixties
Fatyher - mid sixties
Brother- mid thirties
July 11, 2007 09:19PM
Heather started showing big time symptoms the last 4 years. But looking back I can see stuf in her teenage years, and in her twenties. She is 33. CAG 46
July 11, 2007 09:39PM
My daughter (CAG 60) started showing signs in her early twenties. She'll be 25 next month. My wife (CAG not invented yet) also started showing signs in her early 20's and passed away at 33. Her biological mother also apparently started showing signs in her early 20's, but we know little about her as my wife was adopted as a baby. Because of this, we knew nothing about HD being in the family, and it took several years for my wife to be diagnosed.
July 12, 2007 12:24AM
Grandfather mid 40's
Mother - Mid 30's
me - mid 40's

God Bless
Pam
July 12, 2007 09:41AM
Ray was 35

Sue
July 12, 2007 01:20PM
Passed on from my grandmother - Passed away at 60, her death certificate said MS but that was before anybody knew much about HD
Mother - living at risk is 61
Aunt - Tested positive for HD gene and in late stage, is ~58
Uncle - Tested positive for HD gene and in late stage, is ~63
Me - Tested positive for HD gene - 25 (My CAG is 42)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2007 01:21PM by luvsportz.
July 15, 2007 08:36AM
My grandmother noticed things about herself in her early 40's. She died in her 50's. Her father died young under fishy circumstances as did most of her siblings. I think there was 1 that DIDN"T have HD. My mother showed signs as early as 77, so she was 33. She's still going at 63...though I don't know how. Of my mother's 5 siblings, 2 have to be negative, 1 has had symptoms for the last 5 year or so, but is living in the State of Denial. She refuses to accept it and swears her limp is from a bad back...2 other's are deceased. Both from cancer, but they also had HD. 1 was 54, diagnosed at 44, and the other 71, diagnosed at 70.

My sister has had some symptoms for the last 7 years, since she was 33. Mostly anger and depression, but mom had that for 8 years before she decided to get tested. I'm not sure what she's going to do. She already has a hard time with health insurance because she is self-employed. We don't talk enough to know exactly what she's doing anyway.

I seem to be okay at 28, so far, but I know that 30 isn't far from me now. My brother is totally normal at 22, but he's got a few years left.
July 15, 2007 10:47AM
This is a heartbreaking thread, seeing the generations pass down the disease, so sad. In my family my grandma died at 87, but had chorea for at least 20 years. My dad died at 73 with symptoms starting in his 40s, and one of my brothers started in his early 40s and died at age 53. My other brother and I are in our 50s with symptoms but still independent and thriving as far as possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login