Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Disability Income Insurance, Long Term Care

Posted by J 
J
Disability Income Insurance, Long Term Care
June 24, 2007 11:52AM
All,

Can anyone point me to some good information about the ins and outs of Disability Income Insurance and Long Term Care insurance. I am thinking about getting tested (no symptoms, just for family reasons) and I want to make sure I have covered all bases. I have STD and LTD from my employer and am under their medical. (I have to to have the disability Insurance), but I know this is not enough and should go with the DII and LTC insurance as well. Also, any thoughts on the medical? Can they drop me after I get tested (probably will pay for test myself). How do I also insure I have medical coverage?
Re: Disability Income Insurance, Long Term Care
June 25, 2007 09:03AM
J, for whats its worth, I would put the testing on the back burner, get your personal insurance inorder and get a good long term plan in place. The best way to put it is, that this the biggest game of strategy and an ironman race of a lifetime you've embarked on. I would advise against discussing with any employer, insurance, medical etc. etc. Testing is a personal thing but would advise against until you have your plan in place. You do not have it now, so there is no reason to share or confirm your suspicions. I would suggest contacting a HD center of excellence for more info and guidance.
>>Lp
Anonymous User
June 25, 2007 01:37PM
J - lp is quite right. Make sure you get all of the insurance you might need before you test.

You can only do this by asking insurance companies for application forms, and coverage explanations.

You need not only to make sure that you HAVE all of the coverage you may conceivably need - but also that your acquisition date does not fall within any "pre-existing condition" exclusionary clauses.

If a Center of Excellence is not near you - you might check out an ADA advocate (providing you're an American)
J
June 25, 2007 03:21PM
Thanks all,

I am looking into it now. I have contacted the local COE for any information they have on huntington's freindly DII and LTC insurance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login