Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

communicating in late stage hd

Posted by Michelle 
communicating in late stage hd
June 17, 2007 04:46PM
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with communicating with someone in late stage hd...are there things which can be used to help keep the communication going longer?

I guess im wondering about after speech has pretty much gone?

Thanks
Michelle
Re: communicating in late stage hd
June 17, 2007 05:12PM
One idea is looking at cards and photo albums. You can read to the person if they are interested.You can hold their hand and watch TV with them.
June 17, 2007 08:17PM
The last month of my dad's life, he couldn't speak. But he listened to me tell him the news of my life when I visited him and looked interested and proud. We watched tv shows, too. I remember one was a Martha Stewart show about buying and raising chicks into chickens, which fascinated both of us. One of the nurses did something so kind and brought him a video of Antonio Banderas in Zorro for him to watch, and he liked it so much. So I think often the mind is still at work in there, despite the lack of talking.
June 18, 2007 06:30PM
I agree with Alice.We talked to my father in law alot.He knew what we were talking about you could see it in his eyes.
I also believe his mind was still at work even though he couldnt talk.

Even if you put photos on a disk so they can watch them in a dvd player.This is easier for them,then they dont have to flick the pages in a photo album.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login