For HD families ... by HD families

PS jl

Posted by Barb 
PS jl
May 21, 2007 09:24PM
i looooooooooooove walmart!!!
Re: PS jl
May 22, 2007 02:15AM
Ohhhh please dont start again! eye rolling smiley I think we all realise that Barb!
May 22, 2007 05:27AM
lol lol lol
May 22, 2007 09:02AM
Shopping is great mental exercise.
Dustysmoking smileygreen tea smileygreen tea smiley
May 22, 2007 09:09AM
I hope to shop there this week and plan to buy a few extra things in honor of JL. smiling smiley
May 22, 2007 11:14AM
Barb, ??????????

God Bless
Pam
May 23, 2007 10:59AM
I think I'll buy somemore walmart stock...
May 23, 2007 01:40PM
I love walmart too. We always visit when we are in America. It has a great choice & is so cheap. But then America is cheaper than England. I always get more for my money. Love it. Love it.
May 23, 2007 05:03PM
Way back in the hot summer of 1964, I was pregnant with what in the 105 degree temperature had to be triplets. But I needed a new alarm clock so I forced myself out into the heat to shop. We had no money and Tony was a engineering student so my first stop was a warehouse type discount store that bought out surplus goods from factories and other stores that had closed their doors for good. I had been told that this was the place to save money, and that was a way of life for us.

I went to the counter that displayed the clocks and was met by a handicapped man who had no legs. He scooted around on a homemade board with wheels, much like an oversized skateboard. The counter had been fitted with pull bars and he effortlessly pulled himself into a tall chair and asked, ?How can I help you??

He showed me serviceable clocks which had price tags of $2.00 to $3.00 and any one of them would have gotten us up and Tony off to school. But there in the case was the most wonderful clock that I had ever seen. It was brass. It was very simple, just square brushed brass with no ornamentation. The numbers and hands on the clock were also brass. It stole my heart and slowly I turned over the price tag. $15.00!!! Outrageous! But it was so beautiful. But $15.00 would feed Tony and me for a week. I could buy the best steak at the market for $1.00 a pound. Our modest shelter only cost $45.00 a month. And my heart was telling me to buy a clock for a whopping $15.00???

I told the man that I would have to think about it and he carefully put it back on the shelf. For the next week I was a constant shopper at the store and admired the beautiful clock each time, but could not make up my mind to be so extravagant. He never tried to convince me; he would just take down the clock and let me run my fingers over it. Then, one day, the clerk was gone and a new clerk was in his place. I asked, ?Where is the regular clerk?? The new clerk explained to me, ?He is sick with the flu and I am filling in for him while he is gone. He will be back next week.?

I explained to the new clerk that I was admiring the clock and pointed to the treasure on the shelf. He took it down for me. ?Talk me into buying it,? I laughed. He laughed and told me that he was not a pushy salesman. ?You will have to make up your own mind,? he said. We kidded back and forth about my wanting him to ?sell? me and make me buy the clock. He showed me the clock several times that week and finally I decided that I would rather have it than food and spent the $15,00.

I still have the clock, all these years later. As you probably have guessed, the store was a Wal-Mart store. Acatually, it was in Fayetteville, Arkansas and was WalMart #3. I don?t remember the first clerk?s name, but the second clerk?s name was Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart. Maggie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2007 05:09PM by Margaret.
May 23, 2007 06:41PM
Margaret-
What an awesome story!
Enjoy Walmart Barb!

Sharon
May 23, 2007 06:52PM
Here in England, we have a supermarket called Asda (very well known) & now a part of Wallmart. It is a very good place to shop, lots of bargains, lots of choice, great clothes & reasonable prices..... But it really isn't as good as wallmart. Love it anyway, but Wallmart is better. In my opinion.

I'm on your side Barb. I love Walmart.
Did I say that?
Anonymous User
May 23, 2007 06:55PM
The Chinese especially love Walmart........
May 23, 2007 07:19PM
Geez im so bored of this whole walmart thing now!!!! eye rolling smiley ok Barb and some others like it......JL and some others dnt like it.... Big deal!!!
Anonymous User
May 23, 2007 08:07PM
I was quite willing to give the subject up, not thinking that it was of general interest to folks on this site.

Unfortunately, the closing of the previous thread was promptly followed by the opening of this one.

So apparently there are those who DON'T think it's irrelevant.

Can we talk about something SAFE like sex, politics, or religion??? smiling smiley smiling smiley smiling smiley

On a PM?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2007 08:11PM by JL.
May 23, 2007 09:05PM
I agree lou...guys end it...its over...eye rolling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.