Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Risperdal

Posted by Shar 
Risperdal
May 15, 2007 09:50PM
My husband is taking risperdal (4 mg daily) and feels he has more
movement than before. He doesn't know if this is the drug or HD getting
a little worse. Has anyone has experience with risperdal making movements more profound or even making them less?
Thank you.
Re: Risperdal
May 15, 2007 11:56PM
Generally speaking Risperdal will either help movements or not affect them at all. It is often the first choice to use for behavior issues because a side affect is also decreased chorea. Are you witnessing more movement or is he just perceiving more would you guess? How long on Risperdal and at this dosage? There are often temporary side affects with a lot of these meds that disappear after the person adjusts... sometimes up to a month or six weeks.
May 16, 2007 08:33AM
Shar,

Certainly people can experience extrapyramidal side effects (movement-type effects) from risperidal, particularly in the higher dose range (which he is in). The incidence can range from 17-34 % actually. I know I also forwarded you some information about another side-effect he was having too (which is also likely related to the risperidal...I hope you received it). In light of this, perhaps his doctor could try him on olanzepine as an alternative? Or, what about using a lower dosage? Did a lower dose help him at all?

It is interesting that risperidone was initially marketed in the higher dosages, but years later, they started making the 0.25 mg and 0.5 mg tablets and realized that the higher doses were associated with more side effects. Although higher doses are still prescribed, I rarely see it now.
May 16, 2007 10:06AM
Kelver1-
I appreciate your information and I did get the prior information. We go to his urologist this afternoon and I was going to again ask if the risperdal may be contributing to his problem. I was also going to take what you had sent to me.
I didn't realize the lower doses are what are to be prescribed. His psy started him with the lower dose .5 but it didn't work very well. He started on risperal for the first time the end of February this year 2007.
That is why he is currently on the higher doses. I would love to wean him down to the lower doses to see if that would now make a difference but I am so afraid after what I went through with him.
We go to his psy in the next couple weeks. I was going to mention the zyprexa (olanzepine)
Are you a doctor? You seem to have so much information and I appreciate that.
Thank you again.
May 16, 2007 10:27AM
Shar,

I am actually a pharmacist in Canada. I am of the opinion that olanzapine does have a tendency to be better tolerated, although each person can respond differently. Movement side effects (extrapyramidal/dystonic) tend to be dose related with these medications. 4 mg daily of risperidone can be used (best in a divided dose...like 2 mg twice daily), but again it is in the higher range of dosing, so more likely to be associated with side effects. If your husband is elderly or debilitated, lower doses are often ordered/necessary. The titration should be gradual.
May 16, 2007 01:11PM
Well, you can just stop the risperdal can't you and test?

There were a few times I stopped all medications for my wife for 4 days and rebuilt it to see what would work.

To tell you the truth, I didn't see much of a difference except in mood swings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login