Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

New Drug Offers Hope to Pre-Symptomatic HD Sufferers

Posted by Jean E. Miller 
New Drug Offers Hope to Pre-Symptomatic HD Sufferers
May 14, 2007 12:53PM
Rather then post the articles, here's are the links and a timeline:

Timeline:

May 3, 2007 - Avicena announces New Drug Offers Hope To Pre-Symptomatic Sufferers

May 1, 2007 - Avicena files composition of matter-patent application for treatment of HD - Above

January 31, 2007 - HDLighthouse contacted Dr. Steven Hersch -Phase III clinical trials are contingent on getting funding from NIH

January 24, 2006 - Avicena publishes results from Phase I/II clinical study of HD-02

March 22, 2006 - FDA Grants Orphan Drug Approval to Avicena for HD-02 December 12, 2006 - Avicena plans to initiate Phase III clinical trials in HD for 2007 [see below]

As Huntington's Disease Awareness Month Commences, A New Drug Offers Hope To Pre-Symptomatic Sufferers
03 May 2007 :
[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

Avicena files composition of matter patent application for treatment of Huntington's disease
1-May-2007 Medical Patent News Published:
[www.news-medical.net]

FDA Approves Avicena Orphan Drug [HD-02] Designation for HD
Avicena Compound Receives Orphan Drug Designation for Huntington's Disease March 22, 2006 Source: [biz.yahoo.com]

Avicena Advances Clinical Development of HD-02 for Huntington's Disease HD-02 Toxicity Studies to be Initiated in December 2006 Followed by Phase III Clinical Trial
December 12, 2006 Source: [www.avicenagroup.com]

Avicena Group, Inc.[www.avicenagroup.com]

Avicena Product Science Overview [www.avicenagroup.com]

Avicena Group Information on HD: [www.avicenagroup.com]
Re: New Drug Offers Hope to Pre-Symptomatic HD Sufferers
May 14, 2007 01:10PM
Sign me up!hot smiley

Will
May 15, 2007 09:33AM
Is this 'new' drug not just creatine in a proprietary package?
May 15, 2007 12:08PM
No the creatine is purified by a patented method I believe. Should it be effective it will be the only form of creatine proven to work for Huntington's disease with millions of dollars of research and brain saturation levels proven. Does that mean drug store creatine doesn't work?. No. It just means it may not be optimal. Twenty grams of a drugstore brand may not saturate the brain as well as 20 grams of HD-02. So the trustworthiness of this product in the end would be worth the minor difference or in other cases major differences from an unregulated brand. Every dose will be exactly what is advertised...and proven to do exactly what it is stated to do. Side effects will also be on record.

Sometimes we don't pay for a substance...we pay for intangibles that are more important for the purpose. An exterminator comes into your house with the same mouse bait you by at the store. You swear you were just feeding the mice with that stuff. He just knows how to use it properly. You pay him for the knowledge...not the bait. And the problem is rectified. Worth the $30 dollars to be rid of the problem even though the materials were the same. Same thing with HD-02. Trustworthy results.

A
May 15, 2007 01:05PM
I wonder if the HD-02 creatine is the same as their Neotine brand.

I would imagine as an FDA approved drug it should start to get covered by insurance and the doctors will use it as a real treatment. As a supplement insurance will never cover it and I think most doctors don't see it as a real treatment option.

Also according to Avicena's website they are planning on the Phase III study in early 2008 - [www.avicenagroup.com]

So the question, for me at least, is do you stay with the 10G of creatine using the Neotine brand, or do you up to 20G and follow the Phase II study since the phase III study results is at least a year to 2 away. I think I am going to pose this question to my neurologist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 01:12PM by ChiTom.
May 15, 2007 03:42PM
I think I would definitely use the neurologist for advice and to check for side effects. I believe that the test subjects were taking between 20-40 grams depending on varying factors. Anything over 40 grams causes stomach problems.
May 21, 2007 02:28PM
This sounds great to me! Hopefully this is the beginning of the end! or am i being too optimistic?
May 21, 2007 02:37PM
The preliminary data on creatine looks very good but it's not going to be the equivalent of a cure. Until a technique like RNAi is perfected, doctors and researchers expect that treatment will take the form of a cocktail of compounds to address the major HD pathologies. Creatine helps with reduced cellular energy but other pathologies such as dysregulation of gene transcription, impaired protein clearance, oxidative stress, and excitotoxicity will probably need to be addressed too. Drugs to do each of those things are currently in the research pipeline and with CHDI's strategic plan and their funding level, I am feeling very encouraged these days.
May 22, 2007 09:57AM
Marsha i love to "hear" you explain things. i get such encouragement from you. i wish i could take you out to lunch!!
db
May 22, 2007 10:34AM
Does the creatine not help after you are manifesting HD symptoms ? Is that why it saids pre-symptomatic hope ? Thanks in advance. db
May 22, 2007 11:29AM
The high dose creatine trial phaseII, with mid stage folks is producing good results with a mixed bag of slowed progression... no progression.. and in a few cases improvement of cognitive functions. Presymptomatic people should be next to run trials with... things look pretty hopeful with creatine.
May 22, 2007 01:50PM
Eric/Marsha, is there an actual formal report for the Phase II trial results that is available to the public? I have read what is on this website but that was it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login