Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Questions on Medications

Posted by Shar 
Questions on Medications
May 07, 2007 05:05PM
My husband has been on zoloft 100mg for quite sometime.
He has been put on risperdal probably 4 months or so ago. The risperdal
has definintely helped with his aggressive mooods.
He, at present, also has prostrate problems which has been ongoing for the last 4-5 years with him.
All along while on zoloft and meds for prostrate problems he has had no sexual side effects.
When he was on say .5mg of risperdal he had no problems.
He has been on 1.5mg risperdal twice a day (the psy. wants it to be 2mg twice a day but I just haven't done it and am trying not to). The lower doses didn't seem to help. Anyway,he has sexual dysfunction problems which he has never had in his life whatsoever and this bothers him, naturally.
The urologist doesn't think it is the risperdal, however, I don't think he has checked into it.
The pharmacists and psy say sexual problems are not normally a problem for risperdal but I have gotten onto a couple websites and some actual people say otherwises.
Can anyone tell me if risperdal does cause sexual problems. If so, is there a dose at which it causes them? Also, if a person gets off of the risperdal will the functions come back? Also, is there another medication that can function as risperdal does? It is kind of like between the rock and hard spot. Without a medication which functions as the risperdal has I don't know if I can live with him and yet I do not want him to suffer any dysfunction either or any other negative effects.
Can someone help me or guide me to someone who can.
There is really not a neurologist in our area (Nebraska) who I am aware of who is really familiar with HD and medications, etc.
Thank you all so much.
Re: Questions on Medications
May 07, 2007 07:56PM
Well, I have PM's you all that I could find regarding risperidone and sexual dysfunction. Your alternatives would include olanzapine or quetiapine. Your doctor would have to make that call. Certainly zoloft is much more commonly associated with sexual dysfunction (more with regard to delaying ejaculation though...some women like this actually! smiling smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 08:04PM by kelver1.
May 07, 2007 08:00PM
Just curious though, what is he on for prostate medications? Is risperidone the only recent change/addition? Does he take any herbal medications?
Anonymous User
May 07, 2007 09:50PM
I've found that ALL of the SSRIs I've tried (including Zoloft) tend to delay orgasm. Sometimes a whole lot!

I had to laugh over Kelver's suggestion that some women might prefer that in a man!

But sometimes it can be extremely frustrating, when it's happening to yourself! smiling smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2007 09:59PM by JL.
May 07, 2007 10:21PM
Risperdal stopped my wife's periods completely at 2mg. They restarted briefly after they reduced her dose. But the behaviors were controlled by risperal, and they restarted her at 5mg.
May 08, 2007 11:31AM
Fred-
You said your wife had taken 2mg then was started on 5mg. Did you mean started at .5 mg or why did they increase it so much after she stopped?
I still wonder if risperdal isn't the culprit.
Thank you Fred
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login