Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

6foot6Brad

Posted by db 
db
6foot6Brad
April 20, 2007 10:39AM
Dear Brad : Did your Dad know HD was in his family tree ? Who was it passed on from ? And do you have extended family members who are at risk also ? Your just a little older than my oldest son (28) youngest is (25) and we as a family just became aware of HD in the last few years . My sons have chosen for now not to test , as well I am not in a position to test . And , as time marches on , I am not sure if I will . Why did you test ? If you donot mind me asking . I just want to say I am sorry your Dad is in the NH . I am glad you make it a point to visit him . A strong family presence is inportant for good quality care ; I feel . All of my best. db
db
Re: 6foot6Brad
April 22, 2007 01:17PM
Brad I did not want you to miss my post . db
April 24, 2007 09:23AM
db,
Let me answer your questions.
Did your Dad know HD was in his family tree ? No. My father inherited this from my grandfather whom had a low count. My grandfather, did not get tested until after my father tested positive. When my father tested positive, just about everybody in the family, got tested. My father has one sister and one brother, they both got tested, and tested negative. My sister got tested, and tested positive (45 cag count). I did not get tested. My mother gave me the "it's to expensive and takes a long time" speech to keep me from testing. I was around 16 at the time. I found out later that it was easy and cheap to test, but had no need to test. I had a girl that I was in love with last year, I got tested so I would be able to start a family with her. I tested positive and told her that night. She stayed with me for about 6 months, but her family gave her a hard time almost everytime they talked. She left me about 8 months ago.
Does that answer all your questions?
Brad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2007 09:24AM by SixFootSixBrad.
db
April 24, 2007 11:12AM
Dear Brad yes it did answer all of my ?`shot smiley . I am sorry about your girlfriend . I would have found that hard and discouraging . I worry about my youngest son for the same reason . It would take a strong individual to know about HD and say that they can handle that . I wish that wasn`t so , but , it is . As you know the heart has a great capacity to love again . Something you might consider is the maturity of anyone you get interested in . It is the pitts that there is so many things to think about once something so life altering is in our future and in our families . I liked the bliss I had when I thought Mom had a stroke and that was what affected her . But , like yourself me and my family have to live in what we now know . That does not mean I have to like it . confused smiley Keep yourself busy , it helps the mind . All my best. db
May 01, 2007 01:13PM
Thanks,
I tend to stay very busy.
Brad
amb
May 01, 2007 09:28PM
Very sorry to hear your story Brad! My husband has hd with a cag of 51 he is only 29! When I got together with him, he told me what he could about hd. I married him and we have 3 children together all at risk! I have to admit it does bother me that the children are at risk and before this web site I had now idea about jhd. To do it over would I get married to him again 100x.
Keep your chin up and keep looking there is someone for all of us!!!
Take Care
amber
May 02, 2007 10:05AM
Bard - My husband married me knowing full well that I may get HD. I had not tested when we got married but have since tested positive. He knew what he was getting into.

If your girl friend was meant to be there for you - she would still be there. There is some one else out there for you better than what you lost.

Keep your spirits up.

Stacy-NJ
May 04, 2007 10:35AM
Amb and Stacey,
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it.
Brad
May 04, 2007 10:55AM
Brad-
I married my husband 37 years ago. Neither of us knew about HD much less that it was in his family. He is 58 and doing pretty well considering, still self sufficient and can be honery but that is good.
We had two children at which time I still didn't know much about HD so unfortunately they are at risk.
HOWEVER, I would marry him again and I can't imagine this world without our two beautiful children and grandchildren. I know the world is a better place with them in it and I know a cure will be found soon.
My two children married and their spouses were informed prior to their marriages about HD (my son told his wife on their first date so she could leave if she wanted).
My children are college graduates and beyond, their spouses the same-one spouse works in the medical field and so is very knowledgeable. I am telling this as they (my children and their spouses) are smart and well educated so knew what they wanted and what each other meant to them.
My son had dated a girl for 4 1/2 years and thankfully they broke up because I see her being the kind of girl who broke up with you)
Things happen for a reason even we do not always know why until later and sometimes much later on.
I, like others who have replied to your email, think you haven't met the right girl yet because if she truly cares about you she will be there for you. If she does not, you do not want her in your life.

Who knows, you may marry a gal who, unfortunately gets an illness or is in an accident and you may be the caretaker. We never know. For better or worse - there is a reason.
Take care Brad - she is out there somewhere!
October 31, 2013 09:20PM
Hi Brad,

What's up? You still out there?
November 01, 2013 10:51PM
Hang in there Brad. My husband has HD and his father "warned" me about their family HD.

I stayed with him all these years, and married him (I've been with him since I was 17 years old and now I am 50 years old) and it truly sucks, but please don't let this rule your life. You have many, many good years ahead of you!!!! We had so many good years together - it was AMAZING! We traveled everywhere together - I would not have given up this life with him for ANYTHING! I am still there for him.

Keep your head up (even if you don't want to sometimes) ...... life if too short give up on. You will find a good person out there, believe me... God bless you....
November 02, 2013 12:19PM
Hi Brad,
My son is 6'5" found out last December he is HD positive(cag 45) he is 38. He was a star basketball player in college and quite the ladies man......I wish he had stayed with a few gf's who really loved him. Now he's living with me and very symptomatic behavior wise. His sister also was dx'd this year with same cag count and she is married with 4 beautiful children, all at risk now..........this is just too sad for me. Their Dad (cag 43) had it but never had horrible symptoms, except major alcohol addictions...........even my son and daughter have also struggled with. He died in his sleep at 54, so they never saw him experience any HD obvious symptoms, which keeps them in denial.

I'm sorry about your gf, but I feel things happen for a reason, and whoever should be there for you, will be there. Please take care and know there will be a cure, hopefully sooner than later, Janigirl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login