Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Assisted Living for Folks with HD

Posted by Jim Pollard 
Hello, folks!

We've just opened an assisted living program for folks with HD. Currently funding is private. For more info send me your postal mailing address and I'll send it right off to you.

Jim Pollard
Laurel Lake Center
Lee, Massachusetts
USA
Jim,

I am the director of nursing at an assisted living facility in Memphis, TN called "Fox Acres". I currently have a resident who is a 37 year old female with Huntington's Disease. I am trying to get as much "good" information as I can regarding H.D. and would love to get information about your program (if you don't mind sharing! smiling smiley) . This is my first clinical experience with H.D. and I have been dramatically touched by this resident and so much want to help her. Any ideas or help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. She is getting to a more advanced stage with dramatic mood swings and pretty significant chorea. Her family is soon moving to North Carolina and is planning to move her to a nursing home in N.C. I am so worried about her because mentally she is intact and she is (understandably) devastated by the thought of being placed in a nursing home. Thanks to any help I can get!

Dawn
Hi Dawn - Did Jim see your message and respond? His personal email address is jjpollard*at*curehd.com if you'd like to direct your questions to him there. Jim
is one of THE most knowledgeable people on care for the HD patient in an
assisted living or nursing home environment! He has trained professional
caretakers and administrators in HD around the world.

Do you have a copy of the Physician's Guide to the Treatment of HD? The electronic copy is available on the HD Caregivers Web Directory (below) as well as some other excellent literature on caring for someone with HD.

People with HD do not adapt well to changes and moving your patient, as well as
placing her in a nursing home at the same time, will be a very traumatic experience
for her. You are to be commended for you care and attention to this patients
needs. My daughter had juvenile HD and lived 15 years after onset. Anyone who
goes out of their way to help someone with HD is an angel on earth in my book!

Jean & Kelly Miller
(in heart/in spirit)
Email: jemiller*at*tampabay.rr.com
HD-Zing: [www.imagestation.com]
Huntington's Caregivers Web Directory
[www.geocities.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login