Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

stem cell research

Posted by melissa walker 
stem cell research
April 06, 2007 05:41PM
What are they saying about stem cell research or other research that is being proven to help these days?

Does anyone know of a candidate for presidency who is for stem cell research?

We have people dying here when something could be being done.

Thank you
Re: stem cell research
April 09, 2007 05:10AM
My father in law is in very late stages of hd.His wife was inquiring about donating his body for research into hd.They told her they use the brain,blood & stem cells.She couldnt believe what they told her.She needs his signature to donate his body.She has been power of attorney for the past 8 years.
They live in Adelaide in South Australia.I just find it hard to believe that a disease like hd with a person wanting to help in research & this is happening.
April 09, 2007 04:53PM
There is a lot of progress on stem cell research happening at UC Irvine. The new facility is planning to focus partially on dementia (including HD). See the last paragraph of this link: [stemcell.uci.edu]

Here's another bit:
"The proposed Sue and Bill Gross Hall building would expand UCI?s current stem cell research program and create opportunities for the study and use of stem cells to find new treatments for neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson?s, multiple sclerosis, Huntington?s disease, spinal cord injuries and Alzheimer?s. The proposed Sue and Bill Gross Hall would also accelerate research in other critical diseases areas such as eye disorders, hearing loss, diabetes and cancer. Finally, the building project will also help UCI develop new intellectual property that can be commercialized by biotechnology or medical device companies."

In addition to this, there is already much research going on at the University for HD. Several of the researchers have attended our local events, including our "Walk for the Cure". It is exciting to see this in our own back yard! I know it seems like we're always waiting, waiting. But just know that the researchers are just as hopeful and dedicated to finding a cure as we are!

I had a great conversation with one of them about doing PGD for my babies. I said "I have found a way to save my kids from HD. Now its your turn to find a way to save me!" winking smiley LOL

Keep up the hope!
Stacy

p.s. I don't know about the current candidates for Pres, but it will also sway my vote!!
April 11, 2007 11:28AM
Some Diabetes was cured with stem cells according to this article
[www.timesonline.co.uk]

The stem cells were produced from the patient's own blood.
April 11, 2007 05:09PM
Yeah, i seen that on the news this mornin Fred. Is type 1 diabetes and still in the early stages
April 12, 2007 09:39AM
Any advance into a cure for ANY genetic malady is good for us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login