Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Omega 3 Fish Oils

Posted by Jim 
Jim
Omega 3 Fish Oils
October 03, 2000 09:53PM
Great news!!! Does anyone know anything about this?

[table.jps.net]
Marsha
RE: Omega 3 Fish Oils
October 04, 2000 08:31AM
Hi Jim! I spent much of yesterday searching the net about this. The only thing I could find was that Laxdale applied for and got orphan drug status for EPA. Also there's a discussion of these results in the MGH HD forum:

[neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu]

(Ignore the post by Ronald Keys - it makes no sense).

Neither this safety and tolerability study nor the preceding study of EPA and the HD mice appears to have been published yet.
Jim
October 04, 2000 10:34AM
How could they get ophan drug status for a drug which is available over the counter???
Is the purified for somehow different?
Marsha
October 04, 2000 01:22PM
I was surprised too, Jim. This is the UK, though, and perhaps it is different there. I assume they will get some kind of tax break for producing the purified version which I haven't found to be available here, at least not so far in my search. EPA seems to be combined with other Omega-3 fatty acids rather than available separately.
October 10, 2000 02:11PM
Study you're referring to took place at University of London involving a group of seven patients using 1000 mg of ultra-pure ethyl-eicosapentaenoate (EPA ).The double blind, placebo controlled test showed beneficial effects for HD. Larger tests are scheduled for Canada, U.S.and Australia.Tests are scheduled to be completed and published second half of 2002. Ultra pure EPA seems to be considerably more active than EPA in fish oil. Laxdale Ltd.in Scotland is planning to have the Ultra-pure EPA available by 2002. EPA in fish oils does not seem to be as active as the pure EPA...probably because the fish oils consist of a mix of fatty acids, some of which may have similar effects to EPA, some which are neutral, and some which may be antagonistic. A doctor involved in the testing ventured that the mixed EPA oils (available over the counter from vitamin shops as EPA, fish oils ) should have some effect. I have been taking EPA for some time (15 years) and plan to up my dose. I was taking 600 mg a day but am now up to 1500mg, 2, 300 mg gel-caps in the morning, 2 in early evening, and 1 at bedtime. Consult your doctor before taking EPA or any supplement as they can interact with perscription medications or aggervate certain pre-existing medical conditions. However, on the whole, particularly compared to perscription medications, supplements are relatively benign. I have been taking a broad-range cocktail of neuro-protective and anti-oxidant supplements for the past 25 year. My father died in April 2000 from HD. Good luck and God keep you all.
Cordially
WADE

October 10, 2000 04:29PM
Wade,

Have you been diagnosed with HD and are you having symptoms?

Kathy
October 10, 2000 10:55PM
I am at risk for HD but asymptomatic. Correction on the amount of EPA in the clinical tests of EPA. Correct to 2000 Mg.( 2 Grams ).
Plenty of EPA information on upper right hand ( in the news ) corner of hdac.org home page,
Wade
October 22, 2000 08:13AM
Hello,
My girlfriend takes omega oil for her cancer. She says it replaces the protein in her body that the chemo and radiation is destroying. She uses the liquid oil and mixes it with cottage cheese.One table spoon per 100 pds of body weight daily. But how would this help someone with hd.? Thank You
Marsha
October 25, 2000 01:33PM
Paula, there is an extensive discussion of the role of EPA as a potential treatment for HD at the Huntington's Disease Lighthouse. Click on the link and go to table of contents, then updates. The information starts on 10/3. [table.jps.net]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login