Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

It's good to be a "girly man"

Posted by stevei 
It's good to be a "girly man"
September 28, 2006 06:50AM
Too much testosterone is apparently a bad thing.

[www.cnn.com]

smiling smiley
Re: It's good to be a "girly man"
September 28, 2006 07:36AM
Somebody is jealous....

Would we rather live long as a wimp or a little shorter as a manly man?

Hmmmm...

September 28, 2006 08:33AM
I don't care about the years so much if it meant having the wisdom of a woman. We don't keel over from too much testostrone..we keel over from testosterone making us stupid. So it's death by stupidity. Ask any woman...they will be happy to tell ya! I tried to argue it once but was stupid to win....
September 28, 2006 08:55AM
Now Eric, men are special, too.

Actually I think it is courage that kills men. Look at all the brave ones, the bravest of all our guys gone in Iraq.
September 28, 2006 09:13AM
Being brave and being stupid are two different things. There are brave women too. With Homer Simpson and the Three Stooges as our favorite form of entertainment...well need I say moe? .....That's "more" you idiot.....Doh!
September 28, 2006 09:53AM
Be consoled, you lose the testosterone when you get to our age. Does that mean men in their dotage are smarter than young men?
Anonymous User
September 28, 2006 02:32PM
Aren't we ALL smarter once we get past a certain age? I'd hate like heck to think that I haven't gotten smarter. What a waste, otherwise!
September 28, 2006 08:08PM
I read something this morning that was kind of interesting. I don't remember the website, but the commentator indicated that maybe HD has only become genealogically important in the last 200-500 years because that's how far we can generally can trace our families back. Before that, the average age at death was 30's-40's. HD probably existed, but it was not important as a cause of death. The article hinted that maybe we can understand persons who took risks seemingly without thoughts of repercussion at an early age, such as moving to a new country, as possible HD victims.

Go ahead, all ya'll testosterone people.
September 28, 2006 10:37PM
in the womb we all start as the female of the species. my daddy says about that "son we are all women in the womb but then the smartest of women turn into men" Make of it what u want .

this is ment in good humour
September 29, 2006 08:33AM
I like my testosterone.
September 30, 2006 11:37AM
Females have it too, ya know.
Anonymous User
September 30, 2006 07:42PM
I truly consider hormones to be largely irrelevant.

Not in terms of reproduction, of course. But how much time do spend reproducing. In contrast to sleeping, eating, and working?

Most of my friends are brilliant. Male or female.

I admire smart, well-balanced people of both genders.
Anonymous User
September 30, 2006 07:45PM
One would have to wonder whether "Aaahhnold" might be a "girly man" - given all of the steroids he's done! smiling smiley
October 02, 2006 07:57AM
Arnold is da man.

All you other wimps do push ups and sit ups till you puke trying to get close smiling smiley

This is the funniest line I have read on this board on a long time:

"I truly consider hormones to be largely irrelevant."

That always makes me laugh....

October 02, 2006 09:30AM
Haha, I agree, what a funny thing to say, that hormones are irrelevant! Maybe we aren't making love all the time, but we are being men and women all the time and all that that means to the world. Think what humans would be like without hormones! That'd be a good concept to put in a science ficiton book.
Anonymous User
October 02, 2006 10:19PM
Fred and Alice - I think you missed my point.

I said "largely irrelevant" - not totally irrelevant.

We all have hormones. Of course that drives us all.

I was only contending that what men or women "mean to the world", based on their gender - should mean less.

I'm a straight woman. I've spent over 35 years in a male-dominated profession. I have to make a living just like my male counterparts. I generally have to prove myself MORE than my male counterparts.

I've been subjected to (and continue to be subjected to people like Fred, who automatically find men credible - and automatically find women over-emotional, and not credible).

In defense, I've had to say, "I have a resume as long as your arm! What is it that you don't understand about that"?.

I like Russell Crowe. He actually has a brain - doesn't just take steroids and pump iron!

October 03, 2006 07:38AM
Fred? How did you go from a nice guy in one thread to a sexist pig in another? I'm going to nickname you Gumby!

Steve
October 03, 2006 07:59AM
Steve. Some of us are multi-talented. smiling smiley
October 03, 2006 10:15AM
I don't know where JL got that idea.

Problably something to do with those irrevalent Hormones.

Here's a new study JL to explain why you have to work harder than the men...
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

The best was the last line in the article:

"Women needn't feel despondent, however, as the scientists believe women can achieve just as much as men - as long as they work harder"

Anonymous User
October 03, 2006 10:30AM
I haven't called Fred a sexist pig.

In my opinion - someone who calls Arnold Schwarzenegger "da man" - and Ann Coulter the "smartest woman there is" - obviously has little regard for either sex!!!

smiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.