Huntington Disease Lighthouse Families

For HD families ... by HD families

Harlan,KY

Posted by marshap 
Re: Harlan,KY
August 28, 2006 09:01PM
There was also a Skidmore at the Mitchell cemetery. My sister has been talking to someone who knew the family that my daughter's hd came from. They apparently came from New York. My daughter's father was suposedly born in some other country on some island. This lady says that my daughter's grandmother was a brilliant lady at one time
August 28, 2006 09:03PM
Also I think his father was from France
August 29, 2006 08:34AM
Ellen, the Noe's you see in Lee County are the same family as the Noe's in Harlan, Ky, as they traveled back and forth across the line. My earliest ancestor that I know had HD was Nathan, b. 1825 in Lee County, but lived later in Harlan. His father was David Noe of Lee County. What I don't know is whether the HD gene came from David Noe or from Nathan's mother, Mourning Harris. David Noe was married twice, and from his first marriage to "?Magdalene?" was born Mary (Martha H. Noe) b. 1817. She then married Ira John Skidmore. If there are descendants of the Skidmore line with HD, then it could mean that the gene came from David Noe, since children by both marriages had HD. I am not aware of any relationship to the Shepherd, Litteral, Poteet, Rice, Skidmore, Jones, Marcum, and McGuire families prior to Nathan's birth in 1825. There may very well be ties to those families after 1825.
August 29, 2006 07:29PM
Huddleston, I supposed that the Lee Noe's were the same as the Harlan Noe's. I have found Marcum's and Jones's in West Virginia with HD. I discovered a Noe-Marcum marriage in Lee County and a Noe-Jones marriage in Virginia thru Rootsweb and GenCircles. Kind of skimpy info, but many HD families are difficult to trace. It's hard to piece together this puzzle. I have a Mary Skidmore, b. abt 1904 who had HD. I don't know who her parents were, but possibly they were Peter Skidmore and Vinie, enumerated in the 1910 Lee County VA census. Mary Skidmore married a Collier and some of their descendants had HD. They lived in eastern Tennessee. I haven't yet been successful in tracing the genealogy of Peter Skidmore or his wife, but possibly Peter was the son of James Skidmore and Ellen, enumerated in the 1880 Hancock TN census.

I have found Poteet's and Poteat's of Virginia and North Carolina who had HD. From the Lee County, VA genealogy mailing list, I came across an 1816 court record that indicates that your David Noe was charged with attempted murder of William Poteet. His case was dismissed, after consideration of the witnesses.

I think that genealogy research of HD may be more successful if the researchers directed their focus more on geography and less on surnames.

I live in northeastern North Carolina, just a skip or two away from the Norfolk-Virginia Beach-Newport News areas of Virginia. I know of 3 families in this largely rural area who are struggling with HD, one of which is Ruth Hargrave on Knott's Island, whose husband's HD roots are in New York. One of the other families roots are in southwestern Virginia, and I don't have a clue about the third family.

August 29, 2006 08:50PM
I have placed all the members of a single parish of a church from over one hundred years of history into a single database using my family history program.

I started with my husband's family, and each time a new person came along in the family books translated from the German, I entered the person as a new unrelated person, then linke up those that got married later.

you could start a new family file for harlan county to keep this all straight.

My kentuckians were Hill, Bourland, McElroy.
August 30, 2006 04:48PM
Appleseed, did the Kentuckians you listed have HD?
August 30, 2006 05:23PM
nobody knows

yet
August 30, 2006 07:54PM
There are some Hill's who descend from some of Huddleston's Noe's who had/have HD. The Hill connection is kind of recent, though, marrying into the Noe family in the 1920's, as far as I can tell.

I haven't come across any name like Bourland or Borland, but will pay attention to those surnames, or any like-sounding name.

I have noted a few McElwain's who may be connected to HD families, but I don't have anything solid. I don't have anything on the McElroy surname at all; I'll see what I can find.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2006 03I miss youAM by ellenc.
September 02, 2006 01:41PM
well not sure about where you are in Ky but my mom family lived there in Louisa in Lawrence County Margie Triplett (Miller) husband Alexander Triplett from Lincoln County West Virginna.Margie Miller was my grandmother and she died from Hd and left 13 children behind.
Anonymous User
September 03, 2006 06:33PM
My HD came from the Miller branch, as well. Henry William Miller.

Haven't been able to trace it back further than that.........
db
September 03, 2006 08:06PM
I find it interesting that in our extended family tree there are Shepherd,s Rice,s Jones,s Mc Guire , Harris,s Hargrove , Hill,s, Miller,s . Those families many of them came from Scotland in the 1760,s and onward . Many of those families have intermarried over the years with families I definityly know had HD as they were relativies . Many of those families went back and forth between N.S. and the New England states . I have lost relativies all over the US of A . Anyways I found some of your names familiar . Also Bourland could be Boylan; Boylen ; Boland . All my best. db
Re: Harlan, KY and Lawrence County, KY
September 04, 2006 12:15AM
I'm not sure about all the Miller connections, but based on the info that big sister posted about her grandmother, I was able to tie her family in to a family I'm already researching, the Prestons of Bedford County, VA and Lawrence County, KY.

I use the Family Tree Maker software; when I pull up a kinship report on Margie Miller, I find 4 connections to other HD victims, outside of her immediate family. The branches of the other victim's families are quite separate, but they all appear to descend from Phillip Preston b. 1711 in England and d. 1774 in Bedford, Virginia. The kinship list includes Ethel McCabe Abbott (6th cousin, once removed), who died of HD in 1959, and whose family sparked my interest in HD genealogy. My friend married one of Ethel's sons, who died of HD. Of their 5 children, one has HD, one has tested negative, and the others have not tested, and are not symptomatic.

I am grateful to big sister, and others, for sharing their family names. I have had a hard time tracing HD in Bedford County, and am thankful for every clue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2006 08:53AM by ellenc.
September 04, 2006 07:18AM
They questioned my Jones from North Carolina line at the COE, but I am sure he married the HD lady who was a Colbert in Oklahoma. I think all five daughters had HD, because my grandma I thought escaped because of no diagnosis since GGm and Gaunts, but: since I have it, blows that theory.
I think Inverness Scotland gives a clue. Supposedly that is where the link was for my family and they have a high localized incidence.
Re: Harlan, KY and Lawrence County, KY
September 05, 2006 10:55AM
If you would like more information on the Millers of KY I do have her sister and brothers names.I know for sure that 4 of her children including my mom had hd.Also I know of 3 of her grandchildren including my brother had or have Hd.I really don't know much about the Millers I have more information on the Tripletts.
September 05, 2006 07:02PM
Big Sister, I would like to have any information that you feel comfortable sharing. My email address is in my profile. However, you don't have to share anything. I will gladly email you the information I've gathered on your family, as well as the info I've gathered on the Bedford VA family I'm researching. I compared the family trees of Ethel Abbott and your great-grandfather John R. Miller, and found that they had mutual ancestors. Another of John R.'s children had children who died of HD. I'm trying not to jump to conclusions, but this gives me a solid line to research. Earlier I posted that the HD families descended from the Prestons, but now I am leaning toward the John Arthur family who married into the Preston line. John Arthur was born in Ireland.

Appleseed, I did not know that HD was prevalent in Inverness. I was fortunate enough to attend a Scottish clan gathering there five years ago. Many Inverness families migrated to Nova Scotia during the Clearances, including my mother's ancestors. A few migrated to North Carolina. I haven't discovered any HD in any N.C. Jones's families, only in Virginia and West Virginia Jones's; I'm not researching NC very hard, but have found several instances in the western part of the state. I haven't researched HD in Nova Scotia at all.
September 08, 2006 07:09PM
I read your email and thought I would let you know that I am a "NOE." I live in Cols. Oh & my Mom is 80 yrs old with HD. Also have 2 sisters with it. I do not have it, nor my brother. Our Mother is a Noe from Pike County, Ky. My Grandmother died the year I was born with HD, so did her Mother, Aunts, Uncles, everybody! There are many Noe's running around Ky & WV with HD. Some of them call it havin' the palsey! There was a Noe here, a cousin, just died a couple of years ago. He was in his early 60's. Noe is a french name.

My best to all of you,

Nancy L.
September 09, 2006 10:04AM
yeah, look at it this way: HD positives get along with only a fraction of the brains they were born with...you need to start out smart.
September 13, 2006 12:24PM
well I don't have any idea if we are related but a also live in col.ohio and its not a secret anymore in my family about Hd my brother has it
September 13, 2006 07:26PM
Hello big sister, I am the oldest in my family, I think your Dad and my Mother are 1st or 2nd cousins. We tried to meet you all through another cousin that lives here, but evidently there was some issues between the two parties. My Mom just turned 80 and is in a nursing home with HD, and my 2 sisters have it. One sister won't reveal to my Mom or her 2 children that she has it. I am new to this website so I will have to figure out how to get my email address to you. Are there 4 kids in your family? My prayers go out to you and your brother. I'm sorry if I was unethical in bringing up the family name, I just got so excited to hear the name since many of them died and I never had a chance to meet them.
My sister is doing a lot of geneology research on that part of the family now. Please stay in touch!
September 13, 2006 09:23PM
I don't know now, big sister, if you're related to me or not. I went back and read some of your previous posts and my Mother's cousin that died of HD here in Columbus was a male. Are you related to any Noe's?

Nancy L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login