August 12, 2006 10:04PM
have you used the chat room yet?
Re: Harlan,KY
August 12, 2006 10:46PM
No. Is that what I need to do?
JFB
August 12, 2006 10:50PM
I saw in another post you wanted to get in touch whith others that have experanced HD

Over the the left, the bottom of the colloum is "HDAC Chatroom NEW!" click on it, then enter screen name, log on and usually ther is some one ther that has experanced HD.

just under the "HDAC Chatroom" to the left, it will show who is in the chat room.

I noticed I just missed you when you were in chatroom by yourself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2006 10:52PM by JFB.
AL
August 12, 2006 10:52PM
I AM FROM CORBIN.
August 12, 2006 11:06PM
Thank you. I'll try that. I live in Nashville and was trying to find someone who has a family member with HD so that I would not feel so alone. Also, my daughters father lives in Harlan. He has had several family members die and I hear that he is in the advanced stages. I thought that maybe one of his friends or family members might visit this site. Actually, Heather has skipped town again, My younger daughter(home from college) is out, I have free time and have access to the computer! This is a rare ocassion and I am just too excited-can't stop posting! Besides, I think I was the only one on here for awhile.
August 12, 2006 11:12PM
Hey Al,
Do you still live there? I left Harlan when I was a teenager. My Mom died 4 years ago so I rarely go there anymore. JFB I tried to do the chat room thing and couldn't get in. Or maybe I was in and didn't know it!
August 13, 2006 11:44AM
Hello, My family is from Harlan and HD is running through it. I was just curious if anyone new any Madden's in that area.

Thanks
Anonymous User
August 13, 2006 01:07PM
This is interesting.

I've done some family tree research. One direct ancestor lived in what was then Harlin (now LaRue) county, in KY. she was a midwife who lived on the adjoining farm to Tom and Nancy Lincoln. She deliverd little Abe into the world.

Because of that famous connection - certain branches of the family have been traced back to the 1500s in France.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the line that the HD came from!

The Miller family line which my HD came from abruptly ended, after only a few generations. Miller is such an incredibly common name, that it's hard to trace.

How many Henry William Millers have there been?

It's a mystery how the Millers came across the LaRues - but my existence is proof that they did!
AL
August 13, 2006 03:04PM
Yes, I still live in Corbin. My husbands family (where the HD came from) actually came from the W. Va. area that is near Harlan I believe. His grandfathers name was Burgan, his wife had HD but I do not know her maiden name. My husband's mother had HD also, out of 13 children 12 had HD. My husband was raised by his paternal grandparents so we did not know about HD until we had been married for several years and had four children. Two are negative, my 38 year old daughter was diagnosed in l998. She lives with me and is advanced in HD. One daughter, the oldest, has chosen not to be tested and she has three daughters. My husband drowned in l980. Now that my daughter has HD, I know he had symptoms. FYI for anyone in this area, there is a movement disorder neurologist here. She also goes to Middlesboro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2006 03:05PM by AL.
August 13, 2006 09:01PM
wow
My daughter's father is from Cawood.I did not know his family but I met his Mom once and she had the "chorea". He said she had had a "nervous breakdown". I'm sure he didn't know- he was only 17. And this seems to be a secret disease. I think that is why no one knows what the heck I am talking about when I tell them about HD> anyway,I became pregnant at 15 and came to my sister's house in Nashville. I saw him one time after that when Heather was 9. His Mother, brother, and some aunts and uncles diedfrom it. His last name was Mitchell
August 13, 2006 09:02PM
Sorry, last name IS Mitchell
August 14, 2006 09:48PM
Davidmm,
I'm from a very large family and I am gonna ask them if they know any maddens. I know some Maidens- but not Maddens. I do not know the history of this disease, but I remember my Father talking about St. Vitus(sp?) Dance? I have since then heard people refer to it by that name. I would like to find my daughter's families history.
August 24, 2006 07:01AM
I would be willing to do free lookups on ancestry.com for folks who have questions like this. you can send me a private message with info in it like first last names, dates or counties, whatever you have.

I successfully found my nieces cherokee family history.

I am paying a lot for this service and I may not be this alert in the future, so ask me soon.
August 24, 2006 05:36PM
Gosh, Appleseed-Thaank u so much. I don't know that much but I'll check and see what I can get
August 24, 2006 09:18PM
My HD ancestor was Nathan H. Noe, b. 1825. He was born in Virginia, but lived in Harlan. I am a descendant from his second marriage to Lavinia Burkhart. However, he also had HD children during his first marriage to Serena Farmer. If this fits with anyone, I'd be glad to share info.
August 27, 2006 10:34PM
Thank you Huddleston. Those names are familiar to me. My sister is doing some background checks for me. She is telling me about my daughters Grandmother Mary Mitchell but hasn't gotten much further. Sorry if my my words are slurred. It's my b-day. Thanks bunhes
August 28, 2006 01:49PM
Appleseed, I have names, dates, and countries. How do I get it to you?
August 28, 2006 04:35PM
Huddleston, I looked up the Mitchell cemetary in Harlan and there are a couple with the name "Noe"
August 28, 2006 06:16PM
I've been researching HD genealogy in Southwest Virginia, and came upon something interesting: the 1795 Lee County, Virginia tax list (on the border with present day Harlan County) has several family names which later persons with the same surname had HD. The surnames are Noe, Shepherd, Litteral, Poteet, Rice, Skidmore, Jones, Marcum, and McGuire. I have a question: are we dealing with one HD family who lived in or emigrated to this part of the country or several families?

I am working on the theory that those families who emigrated from the North tended to be German; those families who emigrated from the East tended to be English.

I am happy to share any info with other researchers.

There is lots of HD in this part of the country.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login